4. Breathing

Nani decided for the rest of the day, she was going to focus on teaching Neteyam how to breath

Nani decided for the rest of the day, she was going to focus on teaching Neteyam how to breath. After practicing on the rocks, she decided to take Neteyam out to the water. He watched her dive in effortlessly and tried to mirror her exact movements, following her into the water.

Nani swam down towards the ocean floor, trying to see how far down he would make it. He was doing better than yesterday, but Nani had completely forgot that he didn't understand their sign language yet. She simply pointed at the fish she wanted to tell him about, he replied with a smile, but it wasn't much longer until Neteyam began to swim up back to the surface.

Nani followed him up, "Better than yesterday."

"Yeah," He puffed, trying to get his air back.

"Relax, try to remember, slow down your heartbeat. Imagine a steady flame in front of you, to which you cannot let go out." Nani said, Neteyam replied with a head nod. Closing his eyes to focus on calming down.

"Those fish, they are what you will be hunting. They will be easier for you to gather closer to that dock." Nani pointed out left to one of the main gathering places.

"Got it." He replied softly, still focusing on his breath.

"Cmon, let's go back in." Nani said, diving back down into the water.

They swam out until the sunset, when finally, Nani had called it a day. As they made their way back up to the village Nani has realized it was already time for dinner.

"Oh shit," Nani said to herself.

"Is everything alright?"

"No, I lost track of time. I completely forgot to help my mother and the women cook." Nani said quickly walking towards the communal area where food was served.

"Wait!" Neteyam said following up right behind her. Nani in fact did not wait at all, she still walked at a quick pace with a stressed look on her face. "Are you okay? Your mother will understand, right? You were just helping me learn, like your father said to do."

"You don't get it Neteyam," Nani replied speeding up the pace even more, "my mother is- just... I will see you tomorrow."

She broke off from Neteyam as soon as they made it to the eating area and headed straight to her mother. Neteyam watched from a distance, he had never seen that expression on Nani's face. And although he couldn't hear what was being said, he knew the conversation was tense. Her mother was mad.

"Bro! Where have you been?" Lo'ak said to his brother, walking by with a plate of fish.

"Just practicing bro," Neteyam looked at his brother, but by the time he looked back over to where Nani was, she was no longer there. He bit his cheek and got himself his servings, making his way out of the communal area and towards his home.

On the way back he spotted Nani'ite right outside of her pod, sitting with her legs in the water. With her back turned away from him, Neteyam debated on even going up to her. Yet, he did, in hopes he could help cheer her up.

"Did you eat?" Neteyam asked from behind Nani, causing her to jolt in shock.

"Neteyam! You skxawng, you scared me."

"Sorry," he looked down at her, "Can I sit?"

Nani replied with a head nod, and he got comfortable next to her, dipping his feet in the water. The water below them was lit up from the underwater plants. Shining beautiful blue and purple lights upon them. Neteyam looked down at his untouched food and offered it over to Nani.

"So, have you eaten?" He asked her again.

"I do not eat the food I do not prepare, my mother's words." Nani'ite said lowly, focusing on her feet in the water.

Neteyam sat silent with her for a moment and said quietly, "I won't tell her if you don't."

She chuckled, looking over to him and her smile slowly faded, "We can split it." She agreed.

Neteyam smiled back and made room on the ground between them to unravel the leaf around the fish and began picking at it. Simultaneously leaving the best pieces for Nani to eat.

"Thankyou."

"Yeah," he said shyly over to her, "Is your mom always that tough?"

"She is exactly how you have seen her." Nani shrugged, "But that is how she is, and that is the rules for the clan leaders. We must help and serve others, not expecting any handouts for ourselves. That is the way."

"I see," he shook his head, "my dad is tough too. He pretty much runs us like a squad, but I know it's from a place of love. He's great, really."

Nani stood up from the water before finishing her portion of the fish. "My mother will be back soon; I will see you tomorrow Neteyam."

"Goodnight." He gave her a smile and watched as she entered her home behind them.

As Nani laid in her bed, she thought about her conversation with Neteyam. She knew her mother wouldn't be home yet, but she was scared of staying out there with the boy. Worried that she would express too much to him, show him more than he needed to know. Afraid to break that barrier down that Nani had set up from herself many years ago, if you don't let anyone close enough, they'll never be able to hurt you.