18. Heartbeats

Hours passed by and Neteyam waited on the dock still

Hours passed by and Neteyam waited on the dock still. The sun was beginning to rise, and villagers were getting to their daily routines. For hours he listened to rituals going on, his mother praying and cries inside the home from the women.

It was painful for him to be alone out there, he wanted to be in there holding his love. He wanted to apologize for all the things he said, for ever fighting with her at all. He blamed himself, he should've never taken her out there. He shouldn't have let her walk away. He should've grabbed her himself. It should've been him.

Neytiri walked out of the home quietly, startled to see her son on the dock. She frowned once she realized he had been there all night. 

"Neteyam?" She asked softly.

He quickly stood up to face his mom, "How is she? Is she okay? Is she awake?" 

"Her wounds have been dressed, the bleeding has stopped, but she is still unconscious." 

Neteyam's shoulders dropped, and the little shimmer of hope had left his face.

"Hey," Neytiri grabbed her sons face to look at him, "She is going to be okay. Her mother is a great Tsahik. You do not need to worry, let's go home and get some rest."

"I can't, mother." He turned away and sat in the same spot he had been all night, "I'm staying here until she awakes." 

"Oh, my boy." She frowned crossing her arms but did not try to fight him on this, "I will be back with food." 

Neytiri left her son to grab breakfast for the both of them. She doubted Neteyam wanted to eat at all, but she insisted as soon as she got back, taking a seat on the dock right next to him. 

"Eat, you need to." 

"I am not hungry, mother." Neteyam said with his hands in his lap and shoulders hung low.

"You care for her greatly, don't you Neteyam?" Neytiri asked. 

The question sounded so silly to him, of course he cared for her; he loved her with his entire existence, but no one knew that. Caring for her was an understatement, and he was tired of having to hide his love, so his next words came out like a secret being spoken for the first time.

"I love her." 

"You love this girl?" Neytiri reiterated.

Neteyam looked around to see if anyone was around before turning back to his mom. Neteyam and Neytiri always had a close relationship. She is where he got his gentleness from, growing up Neteyam always had his mother all to himself. Her first born, her beautiful kind boy. If there was anyone he could trust, it would be her. 

"We mated before Eywa, mother." Neteyam said very quietly, scared of the reaction he would receive.

Neytiri's eyes widened and instantly softened when she realized he was telling the truth. Her baby boy, into a man. He has chosen her to be his mate, for life. And although she didn't know Nani'ite well, she trusted her son's judgement. Anyone he loved; she would love too. 

"Does anyone know?" She whispered.

Neteyam shook his head in response and Neytiri went silent, looking off into the ocean just thinking about it all.

"I am sorry, mother, but I see her, and she sees me."

"Sorry?" Neytiri quickly faced her son and held a hand up to his cheek, "You do not apologize for this, my boy. You have decided your fate before Eywa. You have chosen, and I am proud of you, son."

Neteyam softly smiled at his mother, relieved that she wasn't mad that he didn't tell her sooner.

"But you must tell her parents, you cannot keep this a secret, Neteyam. She is next to lead this clan." Neytiri advised him. 

"Hey." The two heard from behind them, they both turned and saw Jake with Tuktirey on his hip.

"Ma Jake." Neytiri said as he placed Tuk down, "Tuk, come come."

"Where have you two been all night?" Tuk asked, taking a seat between her brother and mother, "Is everything okay Teyam?"

Neteyam looked down at his sister and faked smiled, "I am okay, little one." Tuk rested her head on Neteyam's arm and kicked her feet in the water.

"You two should head home and get some rest, I can stay here and wait Neteyam." Jake said down to them.

"Your father is right, let's go Net-" 

"My mother sent me out," A voice said interrupting their conversation, Tsireya stood there with her arms behind her back, "My sister is awake."

Neteyam's eyes widened, and he quickly stood up to make his way into the marui.

"Wait." Tsireya quickly stopped Neteyam from entering, "Your parents must come inside too, my mother is upset."

"Upset?" Neytiri asked, she was just in there half an hour ago and tensions seemed to have calmed down. What could this be about? "Tuk, go grab breakfast and we will meet you back at home. Go, go on."

Without a word Neteyam made his way into the home, not caring if her mother was upset. He just needed to see her awake.

"Nani!" He exclaimed once he saw her sitting up on the floor, with fresh bandages on her arm and a blanket covering her. Tonowari stood with his arms crossed behind his daughter, and Ronal in front of her stopping Neteyam from approaching Nani with her hand.

"Stop." She said up the boy.

"Mother please-"

"No!" Ronal yelled back at her daughter. Neteyam took a step back with his parent's standing behind him. His eyes glued on Nani'ite, making sure she was okay. She looked weak, she looked up at her mate with worrisome, sad and desperate eyes; she knew something he did not. 

"Tonowari, you must carry this on!" Ronal said closing her eyes and turning away from the Sully's. "I cannot even look at him."

"Our children have mated." Tonowari said with a clenched jaw and his arms still crossed. 

"They, what?" Jake said. Neytiri bit her inner lip, knowing the truth but not speaking up.

"Tell them everything!" Ronal yelled.

"Mother, please let Nani speak." Tsireya said from behind the Sullys.

"Quiet!" Tonowari yelled, causing Tsireya to flinch and obey her parent's wishes.

"No!" Ronal looked back at Neteyam "Would you care to explain to me why my daughter has two heartbeats inside of her right now?" 

Neteyam's eyebrows scrunched together as it took him a few moments to try to understand what she had meant. Neytiri behind her son let out a gasp, covering her mouth once she realized what the Tsahik was saying.

"My daughter is with child, boy!" Ronal yelled at Neteyam pushing his chest. 

His eye's widened and looked down at his lover, still on the floor of the marui. Her eyes full of tears, this is not how she wanted this to go. This is not how this should've gone.