epilogue

Neteyam's eyes fluttered opened and he slowly turned his head to be aware of his surroundings

He was lying on his back, surrounded by the plush green forest he once called home. Slowly, he rose up and sat, looking around. It sounded just like home, the wind rattling the trees, the animals cooing in the distance. It smelled like home, the fresh scent of grass and water from the nearby waterfall.

He stood on his two feet and looked around, waiting for a sign that this was real. This cannot be real, he thought. Immediately he reached at his heart, searching for the wound he had suffered. It was gone, not even a scar left on his body.

Instantaneously, it was eclipse. The forest around him lit up, and a brighter light in the sky led him his way to the Tree of Souls. The Tree of Souls he was born upon, the Tree of Souls where his ancestors lived, but it was empty when he arrived. No people praying, no tsahik leading any prayers; he was all alone. 

Neteyam, confused, made his way up to the glowing tree and fell to his knees.

"Great mother, I don't understand." He prayed, "Is this a test? Have I dishonored you Eywa? Please, please give me a sign. What am I to do?"

Nothing followed, Neteyam felt empty. Tears began to fall down his face, he just wanted his family, he thought. He wanted to be home, but not like this.

"Neteyam?" A voice asked. A voice Neteyam knew all too well, he turned around quickly and seen exactly who he thought it was.

"N-Nani'ite?" He replied.

There stood Nani'ite, standing only 100 feet away from her love. In her arms laid a child, a baby.

"Nani," Neteyam repeated, swiftly walking his way up to her, falling to his knees to be face to face with the baby in her arms.

"Is this?-"

"Our child." Nani smiled, tears rolling down her face. "Syawn."

"Blessing." Neteyam translated. He gently grabbed the baby, still on his knees and wept. "Please tell me this is real," he said, looking into his child's eyes.

"It is real Neteyam," Nani said, sitting down in front of him, "look around, we are living in Eywa."

Neteyam finally broke eye contact with his baby girl and looked around. It was sunny again, but they were no longer at the Tree of Souls. They were now sitting in the jungle, the sacred spot they had made their own.

He looked finally at Nani'ite and cupped her face with his free hand. "My love, I see you."

"I see you." Nani slowly replied, Neteyam kissed his mate and felt complete peace. This was his family now, and he never wanted to lose it.

"Wait," Neteyam quickly separated his lips from hers, looking back down at his child.

"How are you two here? How long have I been gone... are you-"

"I did not make it, my love. It was the same battle, our child being here is a miracle." She replied, smiling down at Syawn.

"You shouldn't have fought, Nani'ite." Neteyam said lowly, with a worried expression.

"I fought to protect my people, I left happy Neteyam. You, this family, this is all that matters now. No more war, no more pain, this is where we will stay. Forever."

Tears still falling from his eyes, he stood up with his daughter in his arms and looked around once more. It was peaceful, there was no war, he was in their sacred jungle, exactly where he wanted to be. Nani followed suit, standing next to her mate and her baby girl. Neteyam grabbed onto her and held Nani tightly, closing his eyes and taking in the moment.

And so, they lived together, in Eywa, for forever.