24. War

"He is my brother!" Lo'ak yelled, "I'm going!"

"Oh, he's your bother?" Neteyam responded through gritted teeth, yanking Lo'ak back by the arm, "No, I am your brother!"

Nani and her two sibling's road back from warning their tulkun to find the brothers arguing on one of the docks. "Lo'ak!" Tsireya called out.

"Get off me."

"Lo'ak!" Neteyam yelled after his brother, "Come on! He is going to Payakan!"

Before Nani could interject, her mate was diving into the ocean to follow his brother. Nani and her siblings quickly followed behind the brothers. "Come back!" Tsireya cried out to Lo'ak. He did not though, he rode as fast to Payakan as he could. Once he found him, he was marked by the red beeping device.

Just as all the children made it to Payakan, a large ship hovering the water turned the corner of three brothers rock and began approaching them.

"Shit!" Lo'ak called out, "Bro, help me! The ship is coming, hurry."

Neteyam hopped onto the tulkun and attempted to pull out the device, along with Nani and her siblings.

"Call it in!" Neteyam told Lo'ak, "Call dad! Just go, do it!"

All of the children tried their best to pull out the device as the ships approached closer, "Neteyam!" Nani'ite cried out stressed, looking back at the ship.

Neteyam looked at his mate with worried eyes before coming up with the idea to tie a rope around the device to pull it out. He quickly tied a knot around his Ilu and yelled out to Ao'nung to tie his end.

"Go go go!" Ao'nung yelled as soon as the rope was tied. All of them we're pushing and pulling to get the device out. Finally, as smaller ships approached, they device was yanked out.

"Go! Go that way!" Neteyam pointed back towards their home island, "I will draw them off!"

Before Nani could say anything, she watched Neteyam dive into the water and away from them. Nani'ite followed her siblings into the water, swimming away as fast as possible but it wasn't enough. Underwater ships began to chase all of them as they tried to hide and swim away.

They tried their best to get away but before they knew it, Nani was caught with Tsireya, Tuk and Lo'ak in a net, carrying them above water and onto the ship. As soon as they we're dropped onto the ship all four of them grabbed their knives, trying to fight off the enemies. Nani was kicked in the stomach and pushed to the ground, being dragged by her hair to be tied to the railing of the ship.

"Do not touch her!" Tsireya cried out for her sister before she was grabbed herself and tied next to her sister.

"Be brave!" Lo'ak tried to calm down Tuk as she fought the restraints that tied her hands together.

"It is going to be okay. Stay clam, mawey, mawey." Nani gentle soothed her sister and Tuk.

Just as all hope felt lost, the clan riding on tsurak came from around the corner and began approaching the ship.