Chapter 5 - The Night of Engagement

Are you okay?" Hunter asks as the side of his eyes catches a glimpse of Angel sitting uncomfortably on her seat. He extends his arm to reach for Angel's fidgeting ones as his other hand maneuvers the steering wheel. They are on their way to his father's house.

But Angel is far from okay. She will never be okay now that Damien has cemented his position back in her life. No. Not the position he used to hold in her heart. Not that.

She worries over what he can do for revenge. Even though he did not say a thing about plotting retribution, Angel can feel it in the way he looks at her, the sting of rage in his voice, and the depth of his coded messages.

Hunter gives her a reassuring smile, but it doesn't remove the gravity of worry consuming her. How she wishes Hunter could do something about it.

"I told you already. They like you," Hunter says, totally unaware of the real reason of her uneasiness. "And you look very lovely," he adds.

But of course, it was Hugo who brought this Chanel knee-length dress for her. It's a bubblegum pink halter dress that flows freely down to her knees. Her soft curls drop to her ivory white shoulders which cause a complete discomfort inside Hunter's body, particularly his groin. Hunter plays with the vision of ravishing her entire body with his tongue in his mind. She is mouthwateringly beautiful, and he could not wait to have her all to himself again, like last night.

For him, Angel is a goddess who walks out of her carriage on a bright summer day. And yet, she is lovelier when she has nothing on except her bare skin, her warm, sweating skin, and the sweet juices coming out of her.

"Did Damien freak you out?"

He thought it is better to talk about other things than infect his mind with lust. He knows he has very little control over it, and so he has to stop it before it worsens and he takes her inside the car.

A sudden distinct gallop—strong and loud—in her heart causes her to freeze.

Her throat runs dry.

With Hunter's eyes away from her, firmly set on the road, Angel could thank God alone that she is spared from the disaster of getting found out. For her, it's divine intervention that the man failed to see her reddened ashened face.

"Damien sometimes gets to be disturbingly intimidating. He has very odd ways of having fun," Hunter adds. "But he's very nice when you get to know him. Forget about this morning, okay? I'm sure it's just Damien's way of making himself relevant."

Although she is quite familiar with Damien's childish behavior, she just couldn't shake off the feeling that he might not be playing games this time.

"Hunter," she finally speaks. "How's your relationship with your brother? Do you know everything about him?"

Hunter's eyes move to the side to see her, wondering why she asked that.

"I thought you're very close to him," she adds as soon as she realizes that she has gained his curiosity.

"We're best friends. Partners in crime—if that's what you like to know. But there's a long story behind our extraordinary brotherhood," Hunter answers. "I love him very dearly. He's the only family I have who took me fully as I am, and not even Mary could ruin what we have."

"Did she try to break you apart? Mary?"

"A lot of times."

"And have you fallen out with him without Mary doing anything?"

A tiny smile escapes Hunter's face. He appears to be reminiscing a few things in the past.

"Quarrels are a natural thing for families. If you have a sister, fighting with her is just like waking up every day with a messy hair. Yes, there are several instances when misunderstandings happen. But as the older one, I just have to pay no attention to Damien's temper tantrums. After all, he's still a kid."