Chapter 11 - Intercepted

Chapter 11 – Intercepted

His keen eyes run along Damien's back. No signs of redness or infection around the regular diagonal shaped scar at his back, as Eric inspected.

"You look fine," says Eric under a short breath.

Damien pulls the hem of hin shirt down until his skin is no longer generously sighted.

Eric notes on a piece of paper the medical things he did on Damien as part of his duty as a doctor , then he scribbles on another sheet of paper new instructions.

"What's this?" asks Damien as pulls a chair from an adjustable hospital bed.

"Apparently, you are not following the discharge teachings I left for you, so I made you a new one."

Damien quickly runs down the list.

"There's not much change in here," he mutters.

"Number nine."

He reads out loud, "Get laid so often. Get laid so often? What is that?"

"You just need one of those," responds Eric smoothly. "There's no need of Vicodin, I'm afraid so."

"What a heartless doctor you are, Eric!"

Now he does think the flesh around his wound stings.

Shaking his head, Eric deems the pain Damien feels is not physiological or is contributed by of any biological cause.

"It's all in the mind, Damien. Perhaps what you need is a companion who will fill in the emptiness in your life. Mind you, Vicodin is very lethal. Yes, it does take away the pain but it will tear you into pieces when on withdrawal, much the same feeling you will have when a woman leaves you for another man."

Indeed, Eric has an atypical way of putting humor in his sermon. It doesn't even sound like a sermon anymore. A tease or an educated insult is what one can make out of it.

"Anyway," he continues, "Your laboratory results are clear despite how unhealthy your lifestyle was for the past weeks. And there are no problems noted in the radiological findings, so it's safe to say that you're perfectly normal."

"There must be some interpretation..."

Eric cuts in right away, "Just follow the health regimen I made for you, okay?"pointing his finger on the piece of paper Damien just carelessly folded into half. Apparently, he has no interests on seriously following all of it. Seventy percent of what is written in there is exercised by people in a ticking time bomb. It's not like he is going to die soon to completely change his lifestyle. It is not going to change things.

"I heard about Candice," starts Eric as he puts down his pen to the holder. "The last time I saw her she was with your brother. Oddly, you and Hunter enjoy swapping girlfriends. The universe must be frowning upon you now."

Hail the universe for lamenting with him. He will give up everything he has just to have Angel back. Candice is purely an accident. She was a refuge in the times of grave depression but nothing more than that. The temporary bliss and relief she willfully proffered to him was much appreciated.

"She's pregnant for how long?"

"Ten weeks she said," answers Damien. That night holds so little importance that he barely remembers what exactly happened in there except for the few things like how he drowned himself to oblivion and how Candice saved him from the murder he could have committed against himself. The bar was filled with unnecessary noises, but clear in his mind the reality that Angel left him for his brother. And though he longed to hear her explanation—there must be a reason for this—his pride was too immense and indestructible that he made a vow to himself to never bow to anyone, Angel to be specific. And yet, Angel already did; he was just too proud and high to admit. His heart that was once softened immediately turned back to hard stone after that incident. Such an unforgivable fault he had there. Pride is never a virtue, and that was the sole thing that caused him his misery.