Chapter 10 - Selfless No More

Chapter 10 – Selfless No More

Mr. Harrison and three other corporate men unexpectedly pay Hunter a visit that he has to cancel a one-hour meeting with a Russian diplomat and reschedule it tomorrow. Harrison calls a rise for action.

Expressing his utmost disapproval with James Etheridge's decision, he brought along with him shareholders who hold quite important roles in the board of trustees.

"I'm afraid that it is not only me who shares this worry, Mr. Stone," says Harrison. "Since the news broke out, almost 60 percent of the employees have qualms about it."

Mr. Grint, an English stakeholder, red head and very tall, speaks as he swivels his chair to his right to face Hunter, "I don't think Damien is ripe for the role. He will need a lot of time before he becomes capable to sit as chairman of the board."

"He will never be right for the role," intercepts Mr. Zawadski, short and a little plump with a mole in between his cleft chin. "If he takes over, what kind of cataclysm will befall upon us? The boy is yet a boy, and I don't think he'll ever grow up."

"You are becoming prejudiced, misters," says Hunter. "My brother is a bright fellow. With the right training, I'm sure he'll keep the boat afloat."

"If only we are a boat," laughs the well built man who probably was very handsome in his prime years, Mr. Tinley. "But we are a ship. I don't want my experience to be that of the Titanic. Supposed golden maiden voyage, and in just one night, sank at the bottom of the freezing Atlantic."

"What we are trying to tell you, Mr. Stone, is..." Mr. Harrison leans over, his gaze intent with fervor to persuade the man in front of him, "take it away from Damien. You are qualified for the spot. And we can't be more relieved if we know it's you taking over."

It's not a very easy task to decide on the matter. After all, these gentlemen around him know the business very well, and they came to him to tell him their opinion about Damien. He is very pleased though that despite being the illegitimate son, people in the higher rank of the hierarchy actually prefer him over the legitimate son. They see him as someone capable and best for the role.

"It's still my father who has the last say about this, gentlemen," he says. Even though he badly wants the seat, he just can't take it away from Damien. A miracle must happen first before he can have it.

"But what do you think about this, Mr. Stone?" asks Mr. Grint. "I'm sure you're very troubled. You know for yourself that you are the right man for the job, and yet your ailing father chose that inept brother of yours. No offense to James, but he is literally out of his mind when he made that ridiculous decision."

"I'm not sure about Damien being incompetent. He is just young and inexperienced," he replies. And he truly appreciates the young lad's potentials, and here he is, defending them from this council of wise men. "Given the opportunity to prove himself, I'm sure he will change your minds."

Mr. Tinley speaks, this time his voice a lot higher and firmer, "I did not invest my money to this company only to be managed by an inexperienced juvenile. If this happens, I might as well sell my shares to interested buyers."

And Hunter knows that rival companies are very much interested to buy shares in his father's company.

"Calm down, Mr. Tinley," says Hunter. "The decision my father made is agreed upon by the family." Though he is obviously forced to just submit to it. "While my brother acts on his duty as the new CEO, I will oversee his actions from time to time. I will make sure he does the right thing."

"What are you? Some advisor now?" Zawadski is sure not pleased.

"Yes. And I will see to it that Damien gets the proper trainings. I will not leave him behind until he's proven his worth."