Chapter 13 - His Duty

Chapter 13 – His Duty

Damien leans the back of his body on the front part of his car, his eyes seem to be floating in the dark skies. The city from where he views it looks like Christmas lights on top of snow laden field. And yet there is no snow, or Christmas season is far from possible.

He is half way finished with his bottle of beer when he throws it away—to the farthest his eyes could reach.

Hunter has been watching his brother for minutes now, observing his every action.

Not really the Damien he used to know. Damien could drink till the last drop of alcohol. Damn he could even finish up an entire case of it. But now, he seems to be not himself. What could be troubling his little brother?

When he called him in the afternoon, he just knew something was wrong.

If only this man isn't his brother, it could have been a lot easier for Hunter to steal the business from him. He wouldn't doubt like what he's in now.

"There you are," he starts.

"I'm glad you could come." Damien moves to the side so that he could give Hunter space on the front part of the car. "Your brotherly duties you willingly execute. A thumbs up for you, brother!"

Clearly, Damien is bit tipsy now.

"One bottle and you're like this already."

"You don't want to know what's burdening me, Hunter," says he. "You're the best brother in the world, you know that?"

"I am your only brother. Does that make sense?"

"You don't really have a sense of humor, do you?"

Hunter shakes his head in disbelief. They're having this another teenage conversation they used to like before. Only that they are no longer teenagers, and Hunter finds Damien's remarks a bit tasteless and babyish now. They're adults and Damien should stop acting like the five year old kid he used to know—the five year old Damien he really doted on.

"Now tell me what's bothering you."

"Come with me to England."

Hunter raises his brow.

"England? What am I going to do there?"

"Apparently there's a European organization interested in investing in our company, and Dad told me I should go over there and find out who this potential investors are," states Damien.

"That's great! That's just like field work for you."

Damien grunts.

"I don't know anything, Hunter. What if I mess up? Obviously, Harrison wants me embarrassed. He was the one who suggested this. I have yet to begin my formal training with you, and now everyone in the Board expects me to do great."

Hunter asks, "That's not you, Damien. You are confident and you don't take 'no' for anything. Why doubt yourself now?"

You have the company... You can do anything you want with it. You have thousands of  men under your employ, and they will treat every word you breathe as gold... he wishes to say right on his face. Damien really does not have the right to complain. If he were on his shoes, he will not whine like something unjust is done against him. He's been favored ever since day one.

"Well perhaps something happened that changed me," replies Damien. "Everyone changes, Hunter. You did. When Angel came into your life, you were not like the old Hunter I knew. You changed for the... better, I guess."