Chapter 28 - Genetic Folly

Chapter 28 – Genetic Folly

"Boss, I found something about the packages," Paul wrote in his text message. "Can I call you?" Hunter hurries to ring Paul the moment he receives the message. Sarah is teaching Angel some Colombian dish which she t taught herself for weeks.

Hunter stares into the sea while he waits for Paul to pick up the phone.

"Mr. Stone, Sir?"

"I want it complete and precise, Paul." He drinks from the bottle of beer he is holding. Waves of crystal blue water knock into his feet.

"The packages came from the sender named Ms. Candice Gregory, sir."

Candice?

His ears suddenly feels warm, curiosity sparks.

Why would Candice Gregory send such thought-provoking packages to both him and Angel? Is shy trying to make them feel jealous of what she and Damien are having? Is this some sort of inoffensive friendly joke to make them feel bad about something which they have and which he and Angel don't have?

"It's not only that, sir. I chanced upon Dr. Grace Kendall's office to find out more about Ms. Gregory's pregnancy. Due to some ethical and legal constraints, I had to resort to unlikely measures," says Paul. "It appears that Ms. Gregory is not pregnant of Damien Etheridge's son."

"What?!"

Standing like a statue on a flat bed of white sand, he feels a fringe of lace spreading over the cold beach, rampaging through the shore like little crabs on the race. A dull mist unfolds onshore, eradicating the romantic view of tens of islands surrounding his private island, which looks majestic in the morning, and melancholy at night. The weather has been unfriendly for two consecutive days in this country, and if this continues, his plan to tour Angel around the islands will be a failure.

"Are you sure about this, Paul?"

"Positive, sir. I have Dr. Kendall's paternity test results to back up my claim."

"Bullshit!" the curse comes out of his mouth in a whisper, with his jaw tightened and teeth clenched. "I knew it! That woman only wants wealth and fame! I should have known better!"

"Perhaps, sir, you're right about that," replies Paul. "Why else would she lie to everyone about the true identity of her child's father?"

Breathing deeply, he finds himself contemplating whether he should feel remorse for his brother. The man has been conned. The man has been forced to wed a woman he does not love because of an unexpected responsibility that is not even his at the first place, and rightfully. And despite the animosity between them, the sense of worry arises. His brotherly duty is making itself felt once again. "Does Damien even know about this?" he asks, a recognizable authoritative tone thrives.

"Yes, he does, if my intel is correct, sir. Mr. Etheridge has been informed by your great doctor friend, who was the one who requested Dr. Kendall to perform the test."

"Eric? What does Eric have to do with this?"

"That story, I'm afraid, I fail to gather information on. I will look into that, sir."

"Never mind. I'll ask Eric myself when I get back."

And Damien? He wonders what Damien had done about this? With his usual idiocy and recklessness, he will not think twice about shaming Candice. He knows him very well. He's not going to feel any form of sympathy for her or reluctance to consider the woman's state. He could be sending her away right now, or could have his evil mother punish the poor woman.