13 - A Promise

Leah's POV

I arrived at her house and rang the doorbell at the gate, then I was buzzed in.

I walked up to the front door and rang again.

She opened up and I immediately knew something was wrong.

„Jennifer... what?"

She gently leaned the side of her head on the doorframe.

„Hi.", she softly said and I knew she was holding back tears.

Two steps were all I needed to get to her and I took her into my embrace, while she sobbed, then she flinched and grunted. I leaned my upper body back while still holding her.

I had a feeling.
„What has he done?", I asked.

We went inside and sat on the sofa, where she told me everything that had happened.

It hurt me to imagine what she went through.

„That piece of shit, I'm gonna...", I cursedc but then stopped and inhaled deeply. „Where is he now?", I asked.

„I don't know. But I know he'll be back at least for Tashi and Ella. But I can't. I can't see him, I can't take him being anywhere near me.", she said, slightly panicking.

„I'm here. And you don't have to go through this alone. Have you seen a doctor?", I asked her.

„No."

„Can I see?"

She frowned and lifted her shirt up.

„Oh god. Can you breathe without any major pain?", I asked her.

„Yes.", she whispered.

„So nothing's broken.", I said and she pulled her shirt back down.

„How do you know?", she asked me.
„A friend of mine once broke her ribs and she could barely breathe."
„Oh."

„So Alex is coming to pick his stuff up?", I asked.
„I don't know. Moving out is a lot more than that. His stuff, the kid's. It'll take planning so he won't do it in one day."
„I'd feel better if I knew you're not at home then.", I told her and held her hand.

„I can't leave the kids here.", she replied. She bit her lips and looked at me. „Maybe you.. I know this is a lot to ask for. Maybe you could.. stay for a while?", she asked with big eyes.

„Me?", I asked and couldn't help but wonder. I know we've grown close in a short amount of time, but I also know she has so many good friends.

She nodded. I'd love to. But the truth was, I couldn't. My flight back is tomorrow and I really needed to take care of my business.

I sighed. „You know I'd do almost anything for you."
„Oh, just almost?", she interrupted me jokingly.
I rolled my eyes and chuckled.
„But my business. I have to work and I can only do it in New York. But, can't you stay in New York for a while?"

„I could. But that means the kids are out of school. Not that it would be a problem, because they're good and we have a private teacher.. Yeah maybe.. Maybe that would be best. So they don't get to see Alex move out. That's actually a good idea."

„So you're coming to New York?", I asked to be sure.

„Yes. I'm pretty much free for the next week anyway. Luckily.", she said looking down at her rips.

„Good.", I smiled at her.

I leaned back on the couch and opened my arms for her. I know she's strong but I figured it would be nice if she could just let herself fall into my arms and just be.