✧. * 008. Buckbeak ✧. *

B U C K B E A K

"I'm dying! I'm dying, look at me! It's killed me!"

YESTERDAY'S RAIN HAD CLEARED; the sky was a clear, pale grey and the grass was springy and damp un​der​foot as they set off for their first ever Care of Mag​ical Crea​tures class

Ron and Hermione weren't speak​ing to each oth​er. Aurora and Har​ry walked be​side them in silence as they went down the slop​ing lawns to Ha​grid's hut on the edge of the For​bid​den For​est. It was on​ly when Aurora spot​ted three on​ly-​too-​fa​mil​iar backs ahead of them that she re​alised they must be hav​ing these lessons with the Slytherins. Draco was talk​ing an​imat​ed​ly to Crabbe and Goyle, who were chortling.

Why does he always hang around those doush bags?

Ha​grid was wait​ing for his class at the door of his hut. He stood in his mole​skin over​coat, with
Fang the boarhound at his heels, look​ing im​pa​tient to start.

"C'mon, now, get a move on!" he called, as the class ap​proached. "Got a re​al treat for yeh to​day!
Great les​son comin' up! Ev​ery​one here? Right, follow me!"

Ha​grid strolled off around the edge of the trees, and after five minutes, they found themselves outside a kind of paddock. There was nothing in there. "Ev​ery​one gath​er round the fence here!" he called. "That's it – make sure yeh can see. Now, firs' thing yeh'll want ter do is open yer books –"

"How?" Dra​co said in a cold voice.

"Eh?" Ha​grid said.

"How do we open our books?" Mal​foy re​peat​ed. He took out his copy of The Mon​ster Book of
Mon​sters, which he had bound shut with a length of rope. Oth​er peo​ple took theirs out, too; some, like Aurora and Harry, had belted their book shut; others had crammed them in​side tight bags or clamped them to​gether with bull​clips.

"Hasn' – hasn' any​one bin able ter open their books?" Ha​grid said, look​ing crest​fall​en.

The class all shook their heads.

"Yeh've got ter stroke 'em," Ha​grid said, as though this was the most obvious thing in the world.
"Look ..."

He took Hermione's copy and ripped off the Spellotape that bound it. The book tried to bite, but
Ha​grid ran a gi​ant fore​fin​ger down its spine, and the book shiv​ered, and then fell open and lay qui​et in his hand.

"Oh, how sil​ly we've all been!" Mal​foy sneered. "We should have stroked them! Why didn't we guess!"

"I ... I thought they were fun​ny," Ha​grid said uncertain​ly to Hermione.

"Oh, tremen​dous​ly fun​ny!" Draco said. "Re​al​ly wit​ty, giv​ing us books that try and rip our hands off!"

"Shut up, Mal​foy," Har​ry said qui​et​ly. Ha​grid was look​ing down​cast and they want​ed Ha​grid's first les​son to be a suc​cess.