✧. * 016. Talks of the past ✧. *

T A L K S O F T H E P A S T
"I'm glad that they were both once were good."

AT LUNCHTIME THEY went down to the Great Hall, to find that the house ta​bles had been moved against the walls again, and that a sin​gle ta​ble, set for twelve, stood in the mid​dle of the room

Professors Dum​ble​dore, McG​ona​gall, Snape, Sprout and Flitwick were there, along with Filch, the caretaker, who had tak​en off his usu​al brown coat and was wear​ing a very old and rather mouldy looking tail coat. There were on​ly two oth​er students: two ex​treme​ly ner​vous-​look​ing first-​years.

"Mer​ry Christ​mas!" Dum​ble​dore said, as Aurora, Har​ry, Ron and Hermione ap​proached the ta​ble. "As there are so few of us, it seemed fool​ish to use the house ta​bles ... sit down, sit down!"

Aurora, Har​ry, Ron and Hermione sat down side by side at the end of the ta​ble.

"Crack​ers!" Dum​ble​dore said en​thu​si​as​ti​cal​ly, offering the end of a large sil​ver one to Snape, who took it re​luc​tant​ly and tugged. With a bang like a gun​shot, the crack​er flew apart to re​veal a large, point​ed witch's hat topped with a stuffed vul​ture.

"Tuck in!" he ad​vised the ta​ble, beam​ing around.
As Aurora was help​ing her​self to roast pota​toes, the doors of the Great Hall opened again. It was Professor Trelawney, glid​ing to​wards them as though on wheels. She had put on a green se​quined dress in hon​our of the oc​ca​sion, mak​ing her look more than ev​er like a glit​ter​ing, over​size drag​on​fly.
"Sybill, this is a pleas​ant sur​prise!" Dum​ble​dore said stand​ing up.

"I have been crys​tal-​gaz​ing, Head​mas​ter," Pro​fes​sor Trelawney said, in her mist​iest, most far​away voice, "and to my as​ton​ish​ment, I saw my​self aban​don​ing my soli​tary lun​cheon and com​ing to join you. Who am I to refuse the prompt​ings of fate? I at once has​tened from my tow​er, and I do beg you to for​give my late​ness ..."

"Cer​tain​ly, cer​tain​ly," Dum​ble​dore said, his eyes twin​kling. "Let me draw you up a chair –"
And he did in​deed draw a chair in mid-​air with his wand, which re​volved for a few sec​onds be​fore falling with a thud be​tween Pro​fes​sors Snape and McG​ona​gall. Pro​fes​sor Trelawney, how​ev​er, did not sit down; her enor​mous eyes had been rov​ing around the ta​ble, and she sud​den​ly ut​tered a kind of soft scream. Aurora rolled her eyes at the teacher.

"I dare not, Head​mas​ter! If I join the ta​ble, we shall be thir​teen! Noth​ing could be more un​lucky! Nev​er for​get that when thir​teen dine to​geth​er, the first to rise will be the first to die!"

"We'll risk it, Sybill," Pro​fes​sor McG​ona​gall said impa​tient​ly. "Do sit down, the turkey's get​ting stone cold."

Pro​fes​sor Trelawney hes​itat​ed, then low​ered her​self in​to the emp​ty chair, eyes shut and mouth clenched tight, as though ex​pect​ing a thun​der​bolt to hit the table. Pro​fes​sor McG​ona​gall poked a large spoon in​to the near​est tureen. "Tripe, Sybill?"