THREE. in which the black dahlia escapes

[ BEAUTIFUL CRIMES ]
chapter three; in which the black dahlia escapes

❝ So, should I feel bad for a victim or should I happily watch as they put you on death row? ❞

So, should I feel bad for a victim or should I happily watch as they put you on death row?

THE MATTRESS IS COLD AND LUMPY, a stark contrast to the hospital bed from earlier. What time is it? The cell she's been thrown into lacks windows. She can't see where the sun is positioned in the sky. She sits up, pins and needles attacking every part of her. Adelina can't even bother to examine her surroundings. In this moment, her body hates her more than Dreykov does.

"Valieva?" Not Natalia. She looks to the right; a man with an eye patch stands on the other side of an electric shock wall. "You've given us a run for our money these past few weeks."

She says nothing, only keeping her hard glare on him. "There's a heavy bounty on your head. Though, I think you already know that. You're smart."

Adelina's growing impatient. Is there a point to this?

"Romanoff's taken an interest in you. Says that she sees a bit of her in you."

Don't compare me to that traitor.

She doesn't realize she's said her thoughts aloud. The one-eyed man raises a brow. Adelina keeps her hard expression. She's already slipped up once. She doesn't need it happening again. "Right," He gives a short nod. "Well, I suggest you get comfortable. Somethin' tells me you're not leaving that cell for a while."

He's right. She doesn't know how much time has passed by. Adelina is starting to get antsy, her fingers playing with the material of her suit. She wishes to hold a gun, a knife, anything. She's been still for too long; she needs to get out. There isn't much she can work with; she'd get electrocuted if she just ran out willy-nilly. She has only a bed and a bucket. How helpful.

Minutes bleed into hours. She paces around anxiously like she'll explode if she stops. Adelina stops when another SHIELD agent approaches her cell, this time she's a pretty brunette with her hair in a bun. She's stern looking, like she knows what she's doing. Adelina knows there's not much room for negotiation.

Two agents are by her side, both of them bigger and stronger. Security, no doubt. The electric wall falls. Before Adelina has a chance to attack, her arms are bound behind her back. She tugs at the restraints and figures that SHIELD made them especially for situations like this. She wonders who else has been in them.

She looks at the woman walking in front of her. The agent is tired, it's evident in her eyes. Adelina assumes it's early. Maybe the agent was asleep when she was called in. Her name badge says "Hill." Hill is tall with muscles that don't bulge out of her suit. She has the body of a Navy SEAL. Maybe she was a SEAL before going to SHIELD. She's probably more qualified than the two idiots that hold Adelina's upper arms.