FOUR. in which an olive branch is extended

[ BEAUTIFUL CRIMES ]
chapter four; in which an olive branch is extended

[ BEAUTIFUL CRIMES ]chapter four; in which an olive branch is extended

Have you wondered what life would be like if you had a choice?

ADELINA HATES THAT SHE DOESN'T HAVE A PLAN. She doesn't know the layout of the venting system, doesn't know which part creaks and which part is weak. She hates the lack of light, and she hates that she keeps bumping into the walls.

As for SHIELD, it's like a mad dash. Security cameras are getting checked a thousand times over. Hallways are being sweeped madly. Injured agents have been taken to the medical bay. Prayers are being muttered all throughout the building. A cloud of gloom blankets the Triskelion.

Natasha is examining the scratches on Maria's face in Maria's office. They're superficial, thank God. Maria has a cross expression on her face as she watches Natasha's hands work. "I know you want to save her, Natasha, but have you seen the damage she's done already?" She asks truthfully.

"Have you seen the damage I had done when I first defected?" Natasha refutes while keeping her focus on disinfecting the legions on Maria's cheeks. "This girl isn't some cold-hearted killer, Maria. Besides, if she agrees, she'd be useful here." She pulls a cotton ball from a plastic before dipping it in a tin bowl of saline solution. "She'd be a menace on the field if we can get her to understand that she has options."

"Let's put a gun in the hands of a murderer." Maria flinches from the cold of the cotton ball on her cheek. "I'm just saying, I think we're putting all of SHIELD in danger. What if she's trying to take back information to Russia?"

"If she were trying to take back information, then I don't think she'd make her presence be known like this." Natasha explains, drying the scratches with some gauze. "To say that Valieva can't change her ways is unfair. She's a victim. She's been groomed to kill. It's hard to break that kind of cycle-"

"And if she never breaks it?" Annoyed blue eyes meet concerned green ones. "I don't want to stand over headstones if I don't need to, Natasha."

"Do you believe in me?" Natasha begins returning the supplies to their proper place. "Do you believe that I'm a good person? That I do what I do for a good cause?"

"Yes, y-"

"Did you think that when we first met?" She returns to Maria, wrapping her arms around the brunette's neck. Maria's hands instinctively land on Natasha's waist. "When you first saw my files, when you first heard my story... did you think that I could change?"

Maria doesn't respond.

"Please, we have to try, дорогая. (darling)" Natasha insists, gently pressing her forehead against Maria's. "Please?"