SEVENTEEN. in which the path is shrouded in darkness

[ BEAUTIFUL CRIMES ]
chapter seventeen; in which the path is shrouded in darkness

[ BEAUTIFUL CRIMES ]chapter seventeen; in which the path is shrouded in darkness

❝ We both know there's a part of you that wants to stay. ❞

THE SILENCE IS SUFFOCATING.

Adelina's gaze is fixed on the passing scenery outside the window. Natasha can see the weight on Adelina's shoulders. She studies the girl from the corner of her eye, concern etching lines on her face. Natasha almost says something, almost reaches out a hand. But based on the the blankness in Adelina's eyes, she figures it would be better if she didn't.

As for Adelina, she feels... better, which is a relative term. The color has come back to her vision, and faces feel more familiar than before. She feels like she's back in her own body, which sounds absolutely mental, but it's true. She rests her head against the window, watching the world go by.

"Are you hungry?" Natasha's soft voice pulls her from her mind. Adelina says nothing as she looks to the redhead. She shakes her head before returning her gaze to the window. Natasha says nothing more. It's a delicate dance, knowing when to speak and when to stay silent. Almost as delicate as the ballet forced into both Adelina and Natasha's memories.

The marble is cracking.

Adelina rubs her eyes roughly, which garners a quick glance from Natasha.

The marble is breaking. The marble is breaking. The marble is breaking. The marble is breaking.

Adelina shifts in her seat, and it feels like she'll never be comfortable again.

The marble is broken. The marble is broken.

"Stop the car," Adelina says lowly, the wave of nausea threatening to knock her over. "I think I'm gonna throw up."

Natasha obliges quickly, pulling over to the side of the road. The SUV is rolling to a stop when Adelina abruptly swings the door open, and Natasha's nose crinkles in disgust as Adelina's groans ring through the air. A moment later, Adelina sits up, holding her stomach with one hand while wiping her mouth with the other one. She releases a shaky, hesitant sigh as her eyes flit over to Natasha, "You can start driving again."

The Russian redhead waits for Adelina to close the door before driving off, the engine rumbling as it comes back to life. She tries to keep from staring at Adelina too much, knowing that the teenager would catch on quickly. "Are you okay?" Natasha questions in a low tone.