SIX. in which tensions are high

[ BEAUTIFUL CRIMES ]
chapter six; in which tensions are high

❝ I'm tired of my agents being burned by the verbal fire that is spewing from this girl's mouth

I'm tired of my agents being burned
by the verbal fire that is spewing from this girl's mouth.

OUT OF ALL THE THINGS THAT HAVE HAPPENED, ADELINA WOULDN'T HAVE PUT THIS ON HER BINGO CARD.

The next day had arrived. She hadn't slept all night. She picks up the second sandwich. At some point, another agent had slipped it past the electronic wall. Now, two saran-wrapped sandwiches sit on a plate, untouched, uneaten. She considers it for a moment. She can feel her stomach wanting to eat itself.

Still, she sets the food down. Adelina paces around the cell mindlessly. After all, there's nothing else to do.

Escape. Dreykov needs you. You're in trouble. There's no trouble. The food is poisoned. It's good for you. Dreykov is angry. He needs me home. Home is Russia. Home is the Red Room. No. There's no home for you. There's no place in the world for you. There's no place in the world for me.

The thoughts continue to rattle around in the back of her head as two more people approach her cell. One is a tall, platinum blonde boy. He looks nervous and excited at the same time. The girl beside him looks just looks nervous. Her long, brown hair is pulled up in a ponytail as she anxiously looks to the boy. "We shouldn't be here." The brunette girl mutters. "This isn't our sanction."

"Please, Wanda, we'll be ok. Don't be so uptight!" He assures her before looking to Adelina. "We heard the Black Dahlia was captured a few days ago. The public doesn't know about it yet, but I wanted to see if it was real." He rambles. He looks like he's meeting an urban legend. Adelina is secretly pleased that she has entirety of New York as anxious as the girl in front of her.

Adelina doesn't answer the boy, only analyzing the two in front of her. She gathers that they're siblings who are her age. They speak in accented English, just like her. She supposes they're from Sokovia. The only question is their prescence. They're children, and they're not Widows. Why are they at SHIELD?

"Why did you do it?" The boy continues. "The crimes, I mean. Why did you kill all of those people?"

"Pietro, stop toying with her!" The girl, Wanda, slaps her brother on the arm lightly. "We shouldn't be here, take us home!"

"I'm a curious person, Wanda!" He doesn't take his excited gaze off of Adelina. "Seriously, what made you want to do it-"

"Pietro!" Wanda hisses before looking to the prisoner. "I'm sorry, he's really weird and into crime podca- why am I apologizing to a killer?"