TEN. in which the olive branch is accepted

[ BEAUTIFUL CRIMES ]
chapter ten; in which the olive branch is accepted

 [ BEAUTIFUL CRIMES ]chapter ten; in which the olive branch is accepted

I don't think I'm supposed to do this.
Sometimes, it feels like I'm parenting Adelina.
I'm not good for that, I'm not made for that.

IT'S A SMALL ROOM WITH VERY LITTLE DECOR, BUT IT'LL DO.

With her hands behind her back, Adelina carefully scans the basic bedroom, Natasha and Maria watching Adelina's reaction. "You'll stay here, since it's more comfortable than SHIELD's cell." The redhead explains as Adelina's eyes meticulously rake over every part of the room.

Adelina says nothing.

"She's not shitting on you," Maria whispers into the ear of her lover. "What's wrong?"

Natasha can only shrug.

"Should we be ready for another Dahlia spree?"

"Not... yet." Natasha hesitates as she continues watching the teenager. She can't pinpoint what's going on in Adelina's head, but she fears that a storm may be brewing. "Adelina?"

Natasha can see the girl's hands trembling lightly.

"Masha, I'd... I'd step out of the room if I were you."

"Aw," Adelina fake pouts, turning to face the couple. "Protecting the wife from me? That's cute. I know you're weak in every other aspect, so maybe you're trying to make yourself seem stronger for the missus."

"Adelina..." Natasha sighs. "It's just another surge, it'll pass."

"And who the fuck are you to tell me what's wrong with me?" Adelina sends a piercing glare Natasha's way. "I know we both went through Dreykov, but you're not a fucking mind reader. You don't have to sit here and act like we're in tune or whatever."

"I'll see myself out." Maria mumbles before stepping out of the room, the door shutting behind her.

"I can't believe it," Adelina shakes her head as she smiles in disbelief. "One of the alleged 'strongest agents on Earth' can't handle being in a room with a teenage girl for more than three seconds. How pathetic."

"You know why she left, Adelina."

"Enough with the psychoanalytic bullshit, Natalia!" She yells this, her voice booming off of the walls. "You're sitting here treating me like I'm some woeful victim, and it's fucking aggravating! You're acting like I won't shoot your goddamn head off!"