EIGHT. in which reinforcements are called

[ BEAUTIFUL CRIMES ]
chapter eight; in which reinforcements are called

[ BEAUTIFUL CRIMES ]chapter eight; in which reinforcements are called

Relax! I'm still saying yes, Romanoff.
I'll help douse your little demon spawn in holy water.

"OH, WHAT A PLEASANT SURPRISE. Calling to bitch about something else again?"

"No, Tony, I don't want your attitude. I don't want to hear you give me whatever hell you're about to give me. You can do that later." There's a grave seriousness in her voice that makes Tony highly concerned. "You obviously know about the Black Dahlia case, Adelina."

"Who doesn't? I'm looking at the news right now, the Black Dahlia's all they've been talking about." Tony answers honestly. "Any new developments?"

"She's weak. Extremely weak. She listened to me," She explains urgently. "But she agreed to let us help. She told me that there was this chip in her. She has no idea where it is-"

"-And you want to bring her to my lab and have me take the mystery chip out. Am I on the right track?"

"Please." She whispers. "Please, Tony, you know I don't ask for many favors. I don't ever want anything. Just help her. Don't think about me, think about the girl you could be helping."

"I've heard her track record, Romanoff. I really don't wanna sit in a therapy session for a week because the little terrorist wants to try and insult my entire bloodline."

"She won't. I just saw her, she's too weak for that. I can keep her in line. Please, Tony, please don't say no. Besides, you're probably gonna insult her back, even if she does."

Her blood boils when she hears a snicker on the other line. "Oh, I know. I was gonna say yes anyway, but I just wanted to hear you need me. It feels nice. We should do this more often."

"Stark, I swear to God-"

"Relax! I'm still saying yes, Romanoff. I'll help douse your little demon spawn in holy water."

Natasha lets out a sigh of relief. "Alright, thank you so much, Tony."

"Yeah, yeah, but I'm gonna throw out that kale-kelp smoothie shit, and you're not gonna complain about it. Whatever you put in it is stinking up the fridge and it's pissing me off."

"Ok, fine. Whatever."

"And you're not gonna hit me with pillows next time I'm late to training."