be california, be depressed today

Cali x Hawaii
just angst
cali my poor baby
anything in "..." are people saying something
anything in '...' is signing
Select mutism
also I kinda wrote hawaii like millie from Helluva Boss
TW: SH, abuse, starving, sewerside

California pov:

Another day, another day. FUCK THIS PL... who put a camera in my room. I walk up to it and smash it into pieces. With every smash I imagine everybody in the state house. The only person who has ever even thought about being nice was Hawaii, but she doesn't live here.

Hawaii

California <3: hey Hawaii, we have a meeting today. Apparently it's really important or smth.

Hawaii: Hey cal tell GOV I won't be there  

California <3: Okay! may I know why?

Hawaii: I'm going to be moving into the state house, just like Alaska did.

California <3: Oh okay :) if you need to move into my room for a bit, or need any of my help just ask me

Hawaii: Will do Cal. Love ya <3

California <3: Love ya <3

HOLY SHIT SHE SAID SHE LOVES ME. She means platonic right, or does sh- no, no way, she means platonic. Anyway I take a note from Alaska and copy his handwriting for a note I'm writing about Hawaii. GOV would just throw away any note I make. I finished it and now I'll just go down stairs and slide it under GOV's door. The letter isn't signed so yeah. I go to the fridge and take out an ice cube tray. and start eating, this is my breakfast as no one will let me cook, go out and eat, or take any leftovers. Unless it's NY he doesn't care enough to throw the leftovers away but he does not like me in the slightest. I hear some people walk in while I'm eating. 

"Don't mind the disappointment state, just leave him be."

The person who came in just stopped walking for a bit.

"Hey, do you just like eating ice after a meal?! Also let me know you diet your fit for holywood!"

I don't talk to them I just sign the words: 'Hi I'm California so I guess I would be fit for holywood. Also this is my meal, I'm not allowed to eat here.'

"California nobody knows your sign language so just stop bothering the guest you don't need to scare them away!"

The guest signs 'OH MY, I'm so sorry for you wanna chat? Also take this, I don't have a sweet tooth at all and these are so sweet!'

I smile a bit and take the chocolate and sprinkle croissant they had. They sit next to me and we chat a bit in sign language until DC dragged them out. The food was amazing too. The meeting is about to start in about half an hour. So like how I always do I go into the meeting room and sit down. This time however about half the states are already here. Most of them are western states (The ones that have basic human respect for me) Florida, and the guest speaker.

"who the fuck gave you that 'happy little grin' california." Florida says. I've been looking at my phone messaging Hawaii. I sign 'please fuck off, I know if I say anything your just going to make fun of it, and me.' I go back to messaging Hawaii and making small talk with the guest. Nobody here cares enough here to learn sign language. I mean Hawaii did and I love her for it.

The meeting starts and the guest speak is (I THE GREAT PAPYRUS but fr it's a self insert) well they refused to tell names but they were a non binary person talking to us about their life, and why we need to do something about homelessness and equality. It was really interesting but I hated the way that the other states kept making fun of me. While signing my sleeve rolls up a bit, and my SH scars, the fresh ones, the kinda old one, and the fully healed ones. Were all on display. Some so fresh they were still bleeding.

"... California..."

I notice and quickly pull down my sleeves.

"What the fuck man no need to be so selfish for attention."

"yeah don't just do that shit for your little attention phase"

"Dude what the hell, you don't just go up to somebody committing suicide and scream at them that their doing it for attention. Even if they are this shows a big problem about you guys and how you treat them to the point that they need to do this to be positively mentioned about. You should all be ashamed." The guest speaker says while signing 'don't worry I got you' to me. The meeting finally end though and when everyone was either walking back to their rooms or walking to the living room the door opens. IT WAS HAWAII.

She runs up and hugs me almost knocking me to the ground.

"I finally got away from the stupid tourist trashing my beaches. It's nice to meet you again though. I haven't seen you it years."

I sign 'its been 2 months.'

"2 years 2 months tomato tomato anyway you got to show me around here."

Speaking of tomatoes my face looks like one. 'yeah sure.'

Florida walks up to us and questions us. "Okay how much does he pay you to act nice"

"0 dollars 0 cents, he doesn't pay me and forget what I said bout you washing up to our shores, if you do you'll be fertilizer for the palm trees." Hawaii says. While dragging me upstairs. "Now where's your room! I need to move in"

'It's a depression room, well sorta'
"Well then I guess I'm helping you clean up!"
'well let's go'

We go to my room and it's pretty filthy but she says it's fine and starts unpacking. I help her move in and let her sleep in the spare bed in my room. After that (and after I showed her around) we talked a bit then I did a lil risky and layed on her shoulder while we were watching something in the living room. Basically cuddling into her at some point and crying into her shoulder, mumbling about how the others treat me here. Hawaii just let me, listening and nodding. After I while I start drifting to sleep and eventually fall asleep. 

I wake up to a screaming match between Hawaii and Texas about me. 

"JUST BECAUSE YOU HATE HIM DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN STAVE HIM [if he was human] CLOSE TO DEATH"

Texas screams some stuff about how I'm an asshole. Then he picks me up and throws me against the floor under the impression I was asleep. I was done with this.

...

...

"DUDE WHAT THE HELL GET OFF ME"

"CALIFORNIA GET OFF THE POOR DUDE"

"BEAT HIS ASS CAL"

Everyone stops in their tracks when my shirt gets ripped off by Texas trying to get me off him. Which shows several gun wounds, rope burns, and other suicide marks. Also top surgery marks. Hawaii and GOV end up pulling us away from each other. 

Hawaii pulling me.
GOV pulling Texas.

Hawaii pulls me to my room mad. "DID THEY DO THIS TO YOU?!"

"N-no I did it to myself"

"..."

She runs up, puts shirt on me and hugs me. She tells me to wait on a blanket she places on the floor right in front of the TV in my room. She runs to get some food and we watch a movie and eat a nice dinner (with some dessert.) :) I guess every story has a happy ending hidden somewhere in there.

1242 words

The end
🤟

(hi later me is reading this and this sucks lmao)