CHAPTER 2

"When Rose said you didn't remember anything, I kind of wanted her to be lying."

Sarah was just as pretty up close as she was in your pictures. You had taken some from your mirror, taking the time to pour over them in the guest room when you returned to Rafe's house. She was in a lot of them, hinting at just how close you two were before the accident.

Rafe was in the shower when she finally got you alone, and the tears of relief in her eyes made your heart hurt. You wanted to remember her so badly, but nothing about her face or name brought forth any semblance of recognition.

"I want to hug you," she had breathed, standing in the doorway. "But I feel like that would be weird for you."

She wasn't wrong, but you pushed the feeling aside.

"It's okay," you had assured her, and her arms trembled when she wrapped them around you.

"Everyone was so worried," she murmured, making you frown. "...and they only allowed a specific number of people to see you. Everyone thought the worst."

There was that word again.

Everyone.

You thought about the pictures you'd been looking at, and you gestured to your bed.

"Everyone...?"

She looked around you, taking slow steps to the bed, and you watched the small smile that spread along her face as she shuffled through them.

"Yeah," she breathed. "That's Pope, then there's me, obviously."

She pointed at another picture.

"That's you and Pope and Kie, his girlfriend...and...that's John B. He and I are dating. They're all your friends, and..."

She trailed off with a frown. You watched as it deepened before she flipped through all of the photos. You curiously watched her, her lips parting with a scoff.

"That's weird. JJ isn't in any of these," she murmured.

Something about the name made your head hurt, and you stumbled back before forcing yourself to sit down. Sarah noticed, reaching out to you.

"Are you okay...?"

Her concern was evident.

"Yeah," you breathed. "Um...they said that things might come back slowly. I think I'm just getting a little overwhelmed."

You were just about to ask her about JJ when Rafe's presence filled the room. You blinked at him in shock, mouth parting before glancing away. His chest was still damp from his shower, and you gave him some semblance of privacy as he pulled his shirt over his head.

"What are you doing?"

The question was directed at his sister, and you glanced at him again before resting your gaze on her.

"Talking to my friend. What is it to you?"

"You shouldn't try to make her remember so much at once," he snapped at her, and you stood.

His annoyance was clear as day, and you understood that he was concerned for you. You hesitantly reached for Rafe's arm, sending him a small smile when his gaze landed on you. It seemed to calm him down some, and you shrugged.

"It's fine, Rafe. I wanted to know, but I guess... I guess it was a lot at once," you placated him before glancing at Sarah.

Her blue gaze wasn't focused on you or Rafe though but instead where your hand met his skin. Her lips were parted, and there was the most peculiar look on her face before her gaze lifted. She looked between you two with a deep frown, and in a way, it reminded you of how Wheezie looked between you the other night.