CHAPTER 13

You struggled to keep your dress up, holding it to you as you stared out into the water. You felt both numb and nauseous, still trembling even after Rafe's assault. The man in question was lazily buttoning his shirt, cool and collected like he hadn't just attacked you on the beach. The minute he was done, you'd tried to run away, but the way your arm stung reminded you of how that had gone.

"Get up."

You looked up at him from your place on the ground, not having noticed that he'd gotten done fixing himself and was standing now. His blue eyes were as they always were, and there wasn't a bit of regret in them. Your lips trembled at the guy you'd once considered a friend, both sick and disturbed at how stupid you had been. When you didn't move, Rafe moved to yank you up, and you hissed.

"So, this is how it's going to be?" you wondered, wincing with every step. "You're going to drag me around and only get sex when you hold me down and take it? That seems okay to you?"

He abruptly stopped and yanked you around to stand in front of him, lip curled into a sneer.

"You're a Kook," he quietly said. "You were born one, you were raised just like the rest of us, and you didn't start turning on me until you started hanging around them-."

"I didn't turn on you, Rafe! I just realized that none of this matters! None of it," you said, shaking your head. "Trust funds and Midsummers and private school... It's all bullshit."

You didn't even know why you were having a conversation with Rafe, at all, very much aware of the feel of him dripping down your thighs.

"It mattered before," he lowly told you, faces inches away from your own. "You were happy with it all before...then you started hanging around them, and you wanted JJ to like you, and all of a sudden you're ashamed of where you come from."

You had started shaking your head before he even finished, and Rafe chuckled at that.

"You did," he sneered, tone mocking. "You wanted to impress him. You wanted him to like you like you liked him-."

"JJ had nothing to do with it," you spat. "Its all just...bullshit."

The events of tonight were starting to catch up with you, and you blinked back tears. You didn't know if the police actually took Sarah seriously, and you didn't know if they were even close to finding Rafe's truck on the side of the road, but everything was fully hitting you now. What if Rafe got you back to his house? What then? What if he prevented you from leaving?

He'd already proven that he had no limits.

With that thought in mind, and suddenly terrified of what else this night had to offer, you leaned in and bit his arm. Hard.

Rafe let you go with a yelp, and sand kicked up around you both as you ran. The half moon and stars in the sky lit your path, and you sobbed at the sound of him following you. The ocean was loud, the waves ebbing and flowing, and you remembered your accident, the sound of the waves that day.

You stumbled back when Rafe grabbed the back of your dress, pulling you against him. His arm snaked around your neck, and he shushed you, turning you around. You struggled against him, vision blurry and legs shaking.

"Stop-."

He cut himself off when you elbowed him, and you fell out of his hold. You coughed, pressing your hands into the sand to push yourself up. Rafe kicked your legs, forcing you to collapse again, and you screamed when his hands rested on the back of your neck. He kept you beneath him, forcing you onto your back, and you were reminded of what happened only earlier.

You felt tears spill over at the thought of going through that again, but you froze when you realized that wasn't what was happening.

Rafe had a hand on your neck, holding you down while his other searched around you. You bucked beneath him, hating the look in his eyes right now more than anything else. The moonlight shone down on him, lighting his hair as it hung into his face. When he found what he'd been looking for, he moved slow, careful. He was still on top of you, and with your tearful eyes, you saw him lift his hand.