CHAPTER 10

"Um...this is the best I've got."

JJ was very awkward around you, offering the oversized t-shirt to you, lips pressed together. Your skin was still damp from your shower, practically scrubbed raw. You had spent over an hour in the shower, dragging your nails and the cloth over your body, paying no mind to the blood you drew. Even now, you could still feel Rafe on you, and under the spray of water, you had only wanted to get him off.

You shuddered, and you knew it had nothing to do with your damp skin and the cool air.

"Thanks," you whispered, taking it from him.

He clearly didn't know what else to say, and so he left you alone to get dressed. You glanced around, never having been to JJ's house before. He'd made an offhanded comment that his dad wasn't home, and you had been relieved about that for more reasons than one. You'd heard enough about JJ's dad to know that was a man you never wanted to meet.

When you came out of his room, JJ had a small glass of water, and he cleared his throat.

"Here..."

You didn't think you were that thirsty until you swallowed it all in one go. JJ didn't hesitate to get you another, and you sank down onto the couch.

"Are you okay?" he wondered, standing over you.

"My best friend tried to rape me," you dryly said, taking a sip. "What do you think?"

JJ nodded to himself, running his hands through his hair.

"Yeah, that was a stupid question."

"No, it's...it's fine. I doubt you've been put in this position before," you sighed. "Leave it to me to associate with horrible people."

JJ made a noise in the back of his throat, and you looked up.

"This isn't your fault."

You looked back down, tightening your hand around the glass. You felt differently. Rafe was always an asshole, always so cruel to whoever he deemed worthy of it, and you had just accepted it as who he was instead of recognizing it as the very concerning personality flaw it was. Even still, all this time, you thought that Rafe was your friend.

"Thank you, by the way," you told him.

JJ frowned at you before hesitantly sitting beside you.

"You don't...you don't have to thank me for that," he said with a shake of his head.

"I mean...I know I'm not your favorite person."

Rafe's words still left you bitter, and you swallowed.

"So that means I'm supposed to let you get hurt?"

You ignored how JJ didn't refute your statement, and you blinked back more tears.

"No," you sighed. "That's not what I'm saying. Just...thank you."

JJ didn't respond, and you watched him as he stood.

He reminded you of Rafe in so many ways, but nicer, and you wanted to laugh to yourself. So many times, you had imagined being alone with JJ, doing the most mundane things and just talking to him. You couldn't even rejoice in this because of the circumstances, and you drank the rest of your water, looking around.

"I know it's not what you're used to on Figure 8, but you can sleep in my room."

His words had you frowning at him, and you looked away, those final words from Rafe making more tears fall.