17.

I sit and wait for my mother to walk into the office. Where there used to be nerves, there was something else there and looking at the food Harry had, had delivered to my office, it sort of felt like my man was there with me.

Kind of.

I quickly pick up the phone and sent a quick message to Harry, letting him know that I was going to have a meeting with his mother today, in case anything happened.

The door to my office was slammed open and my mum walks in, I sees Debby over my mother's shoulder and she looked concerned. I subtly shook my head at her and she nods. Knowing Debby she would stay by the door in case something goes wrong.

My mother  was just a couple inch taller than me, dressed in a maxi dress that looked expensive. Her hair was styled and curled in a bun. Her hair raised high, fingers holding onto her purse and she was staring at me with this pointed look on her face. Angela Bardot.

My mother has never been the warm, embracing type and I definitely wasn't expecting anything from her.

"William . . . "

"Mother. . . " I said, walking around the table, gesturing towards my sitting area. "Have a seat. I thought you were on a private cruise."

"And yet here I am." she said, her voice curt.

I already knew why she was here. Leah had actually spoken to my mother about Harry and as one of the richest people in the state, she had access t a lot of things. So even if Leah hadn't told her yet, there was no way she had not know about me and Harry.

"Go back to Kenneth."

I sighed as I took my seat, crossing my legs and looking at my mother. "I don't know who that is."

"It is not an opinion, William. It is an order."

"The answer is still no, mother." I replied, setting my hands on my knees, looking like the perfect picture of poise, just as I was raised up to be. My mother was not a big fan of mistakes or disgracing her so etiquette classes and training were a must, half of what I had learnt though, was pushed to the back of my mind.

My mother let out a breath and leveled me with a look. "We should not be doing this again. I warned out you the last time about that low life you called a boyfriend."

"You have no right to call him that."

"You can not tell me what to do, William. I am your mother." she said and I almost laughed at her. My, my, how the table had turned. Even if it was just a little.

"Look, mother, I have a lot of thing to do today and I don't have time for your chit-chats."

There was a noticeable tick in my mother's left brow. Her anger barely concealed.

"This is not a warning, William. I will ruin him."

I let out another sigh and leaned back against the chair and stared at her. "Have you kpet tabs on him, mother? Do you know who Harry Caddel is now?"

My mother visibly flinched at the name before pulling herself back together. She never really liked Harry. Used to make snide remarks about broke people. About struggling artists and people with dreams.

Dreams are for people who cannot do. She used to say.

"Running one small art gallery isn't. . ."

"One?" I huffed out a laugh, shaking my head at her.

I get up from my seat, running a palm down my clothes. "Once you have an real idea of who Harry is now. You can come back and threaten me again, maybe then I would be a little scared. Right now I feel nothing but disappointment in you and would like it if you leave now."

"You can't tell me to leave. I own this company." 

"No." I said with a shake of my head. "You used to own this company and now you're talking to the vice president.

"You insolent child!" My mother snaps as she gets up.

"I am not above calling security , Mrs Bardot." I said, sickening sweet and calm.

"You think you are all that but I will show you, you are not but my child."

"That would be all, Mrs Bardot."

My mother scowled at me before turning around and walking towards the door. She had her hand on the door handle when I decided to speak.

"The next time, you come to threaten me and my relationship, the next time you call to threaten Harry. I will give the media everything I have on you, Leah and that nasty deal you cut with that senator."

My mother spun around, her eyes wide, hands shaking.

"Don't try me, Mrs. Bardot." I said and she gulps.

She walks out of the office, slamming the door on her way out. I walk back to my chair, pouting at my food that had now gotten cold. I had just taken my seat when Debby walked into the office, looking concerned.

"It went fine, don't worry." I said and she . . . deflated. Like, she looked less tense. Almost like she wanted to melt to the ground in relief.

"Your food went cold. Let me quickly heat it up for you and we'll talk." she said and in the blink of an eye, she was gone with the food. I pulled my phone out and smiling when I see the missed calls from Harry.

I immediately hit the speed-dial for Harry.

"Baby. . . " he breathes into the phone and I relaxed into my seat. Very happy to hear his voice.

"Hi, Haz. . . "

"I am ten minutes away from your office, my darling."

"You didn't have to come."

"I was. . .  worried. It's your mum and I know how you get after an argument with her." Harry said and I smiled at him. Usually, I feel sad, keep asking whatever diety, why my mother treated me the way she does but worshiped Leah. I'd be so dejected but all I felt this time was freedom.

A little tense but just. . . plain freedom.

"You can come. I'll be waiting, Hazza."

"I love you, baby. I'm on my way." Harry said and it felt like something electric shoot through me and I let out a happy squeak. It felt like my heart was light, butterflies in my tummy.

"I love you, Haz."