Fate's Journey

Warnings: Strong and Sexual Language; Violence, Gore, & Death. The ending scene with the Sun Tree could be triggering for some. Several * will be placed near the end if you wish to skip the section.   

------------------------------------

"Stop! Get back here!" the guard yelled who was hot on their tail. Athena and the twins were panting hard from running and ducking in the alleyways on their way to Gilmore's. Vax ran out into the next alley, quickly stopping and pushing the others back.

"Where'd they go?" Athena heard a guard around the corner, "You see them?" 

The trio bolted at the first opportunity but guarded and turned around just in time to see the end of Athena's cloak.

"Over here! Come on!" They ran to where they had seen the group but as they rounded the corner, there was no sight of them. 

They had already made their way to Gilmore's which was closed so they slipped to the side of the shop. They jumped down into the draining well next to the shop that had a barred window. Keyleth, who had been hiding in Vex's fur shoulder piece as a chipmunk, jumped through the space between the bars and into the shop. She transformed out of the form as she grabbed the bars from the inside. 

"Eyes open, lads! Quickly, men! They went this way!" The guards were almost upon them. Athena grabbed the bars and pushed to help Keyleth bring it in from the inside. They quickly jumped in and replaced the bars as the guards reached them. With them out of sight, the guards moved on from the shop.

"Come on. They can't be far." With them out of sight, the guards moved on from the shop. After the guards passed, they entered the darkened shop that was currently devoid of workers and Gilmore.

"Oh, man, being bad is so exciting," Keyleh giggled as they began looking for supplies. However, a purple shape enclosed around them, trapping them as they were lifted into the air. All the lights in the shop suddenly turned on as they heard someone clear their throat to get their attention. They all turned around to find Gilmore standing there, catching them red-handed.

"Ooh, crime doesn't pay, but it is entertaining," he said with a smug while the group gave some awkward smiles back at him. Gilmore walked down the stairs and snapped his fingers causing the trap to disappear as well as them falling to the ground. They all hit the floor, landing on top of each other. 

"Uh, we weren't breaking in or anything," Keyleth stood up quickly to explain, "Just, you know, sort of on the run," she awkwardly laughed it off while the rest of them stood back up.

"A quick stop at your store on our way out of town," Vax added.

"While it was closed. I assume you were going to leave an IOU?" Gilmore deadpanned. 

"Uh... Hmm," they all murmured, no good way of explaining themselves out of this one.

"Of course, darling. You know us," Vex reassured as they all walked to find their needed supplies. 

"All too well," he chuckled at their failed attempt. However, Gilmore cared for them enough to let them continue to shop. Vex and Keyleth grabbed a bunch of arrows and camp supplies while Vax looked at Gilmore's daggers. Of course, he settled on the plain wooden stake as the oldest trick to kill a vampire. Athena picked up a hand crossbow with some wooden bolts as a way to fight at a distance against the two necro-maniacs. 

"I'll take these enchanted arrows," Vex said as she plopped them all on the table.

"And as much garlic as you can spare," Keyleth asked.

"Ugh. I don't want to know," Gilmore turned around, pretending to not be interested, but quickly turned back to them excitedly. "No, that's a lie. I absolutely want to know. What's this all about?"