Belly of the Beast

Warnings: Strong and Sexual Language; Violence, Gore & Death.

*This chapter is going to be more from Vax's POV.

"Cheers!" 

Athena clanked her mug with Keyleth, Grog, Pike, and Percy with his wine glass. She was finding out that she wasn't a lightweight by any means. At least compared to Keyleth. She was actually keeping with the others as she chug down the contents of the mug quickly. She slammed the mug down next to the disregarded ones. She was not proud of what she was doing but she didn't care.

Vax was watching his friends. His conscious ate at him however as he watched Athena. Though she could do whatever she wanted, this wasn't her normal behavior. Most of the time when they drank, she consumed very little like Percy watching them all on. Guilty was eating at his brain. 

Out of the corner of his eyes, he saw a whisp of a golden silk-like string fly past him. He followed its direction as it spiraled out of the building into the night. 

"Ah... Grog, why does your keg say For Animal Consumption Only?" Keyleth asked her face flushed red. Grog sent the keg down that had a skull and bones on the side of it.

"I don't know," he said letting out a loud burp. He chuckled, "But I'm gonna need another round."

Vex came back to the table with more mugs in her hands, "Alright, brother. I brought another round for you and-"

Vax was gone from the table as the rest of her friends laughed at Grog. Athena looked up at her. Even in her current state, she kept an eye out for all of her friends. She nudged her head to the door and a sad expression replaced the previous jolly one the alcohol was giving her. Vex looked over to see Vax exit the building. She let out a sigh as she went sat down next to Athena. She gave her the mug meant for her brother patting her on the back. Athena mumbled a small thank you as they both began drinking the ale. 

The cold night clung to Vax's skin as he followed the golden string. It led him through an alcove as it made a sudden turn out into the town square where hours ago they had all been fighting Kevdak and members of Grog's herd. Blood was still fresh on the stone with bodies still scattered around. The string flew upwards between two watch posts. Ravens sat on the makeshift walkway between the two calling out into the sky. Their heads turned to Vax, their eyes glowing bright red. 

Vax sensed a figure walk behind him in the shadows. He spun around with a gasp but saw no one there. He turned back to the square, his eyes widen in shock. The dead herd members rose up including Kevdak whose body was only being held together by the muscles at his hip. 

"The hell?"

Vax stepped backward to get away from them as a hand placed itself on his shoulder. He looked down to see all the allies they had lost before rebels from Whitestone, citizens of Emon, Archie, and King Uriel crawling to him blood pouring out of their bodies. 

Uriel reached out to Vax begging, "Please, usher us into the beyond."

His armor glowed as golden strings came out of him. Vax's body was forced around. The strings led up to the Matron who stood in the middle of the square. A gasp came out of his mouth as the strings tighten losing their slack. His body was being pulled toward her. Vax strained against them trying to pull away but it was no use. 

"The fuck do you want from me!" he screamed. His body was suddenly dropped to the ground. Vax reeled from the impact as he slowly sat up. He panted out as he looked around. The bodies were still laid on the ground as if nothing had occurred. In the distance though, he could hear a raven calling. 

"She's watching."

Vax headed back into the bar avoiding the rest of the group. He needed a space to clear his head but he couldn't face them, especially his sister and Athena. He walked through the halls until he spotted Scanlan on the balcony. He was sitting on a barrel with his arms propped up on the railing, a sword was placed on his side. A sour expression adorned his face that rest on his right hand.