1

"Oh Minnie, the lovemaking..." her best friend Penelope Howard had been waxing poetic, if tales of her sexual escapades could be considered poetic, for an hour about her new husband, the duke. Penelope was about two months pregnant and definitely in the honeymoon phase. "Oh, and Alex..."

Minerva caught just enough to nod and smile but tried to keep her hands busy with her watercolors. They were at her brother's estate for another house party as the end of the social season was approaching.

Thomas Whitby was eying Minerva from across the lawn, always ready to propose or express his undying love. She would never marry the man and found herself flirting with the servants more often than not.

Minerva talked a good game about her sexual exploits to her friend, but in real life, she never even kissed a man. But she wanted to. In fact, it was her goal this week. But Thomas surely wasn't the man for the job.

Thomas wasn't the first man to offer his hand in marriage, though. She was pretty popular during her seasons in London. Several men proposed, but they never created a spark in her belly like she was told would happen when aroused by a man.

As the thoughts passed her mind, so did a large, broad figure. The man blocked her view and sunlight, causing her to sigh and grumble unkind words to her friend.

The man must have had incredible hearing because he turned toward both women and crossed his arms over his chest, bunching his muscles. Shadows cast over his face, but she instantly knew he was not pleased. And being a petite woman, men as large as the one before her disarmed her.

Minerva moved a white-blond curl that blew across her forehead in an attempt to block the sun. "Pardon..." she started.

"Oh? Now you have manners?" the man growled low.

"I-I," Minerva couldn't believe that this man, blocking her view and sunshine, had the nerve to scold her! "You-you..." but the words caught in her throat.

"Sir, you are blocking our view. And the sun," Penelope spoke for her.

"Is that so?" the man practically snarled. "And is that why you are being rude, miss?"

"I am not..." Penelope started, clearly angry at the giant of a man.

"Not you." He tilted his head toward Minerva. "This one."

Minerva's mouth hinged like a fish as she tried to respond. But it was as if he was overwhelming her ability to speak.

"She is not rude!" Penelope defended Minerva.

"Darling? Is everything copacetic?" Penelope's husband, Alexander Howard, asked as he walked toward his distressed wife and placed his hand on her middle. He looked over to the enormous man before them and chuckled. "Dandridge! You arse! What are you doing here at Kendrick's? And harassing my wife and his lovely little sister at that?!" Alex chuckled as he greeted the man he clearly recognized.

"Lovely little sister?" Minerva murmured.

"Kenrick's sister? Figures as much," Dandridge scoffed, plainly referring to his perceived rudeness.

"Now, now!" Alex chuckled. "Ladies, this is Elijah Dandridge, Earl of Sutton and Lieutenant General in the British Army. This is my wife, Penelope, and her best friend and Kendrick's sister, Miss Minerva Kendrick."

Elijah nodded his recognition to both women as they mumbled their greetings, but his scowl remained intact. "Where is your chaperone?" he asked Minerva out of the blue.

"I-I d-d-" the question dumbfounded Minerva. Anyone that knew her family understood that her parents trusted her brother, Michael, without reservation. Little did her parents know that Michael's house parties were unsuitable for unmarried ladies, especially without an escort.