9

Tonight would be a disaster, Minerva thought as she sat beside the handsome General.

The thought came fresh off seeing Elijah speaking to Felicity. It was like pouring acid into her veins.

"You look lovely this evening, Miss Kendrick," the general said as the vocalist took her place in front of the lines of chairs.

"Thank you, General."

Minerva watched Elijah bow over Felicity's hand and greet another young debutante. Likely his backup bride.

"Do you enjoy music?" Jacobson whispered in her ear.

"Hm?" she said, a little surprised by his proximity.

"Music. Do you enjoy these events?"

"Yes, General Jacobson, I do. So long as it does not sound like a cat getting bathed."

Jacobson chuckled at the thought as the vocalist began her song. He placed his fingers on the side of her leg under a slight fold in her skirts. It was a bit thrilling.

Minerva observed the singer belt out the operatic verses but felt like a shadow was descending on her.

The spicy scent of Elijah's cologne permeated her senses as his large frame took up the seat beside her. His thigh warmed her own as he mumbled "Miss Kendrick" to her.

It took all Minerva had not to inhale at his neck and rub against his body. She felt like she was in heat being in his presence.

Out of nowhere, she felt his warm breath puff against her ear. "Get his hand off your thigh."

Minerva gave a small gasp at the order.

"Now."

Minerva gently pushed the general's hand off her leg but gave him a sweet smile to ensure he wasn't in trouble.

"If he fucking touches what is mine again, he will lose a hand."

Minerva was surprised at what sounded like jealousy especially coming from a man that enjoyed the intimate company of others.

"Understand?" he hissed.

She gave a quick nod and glanced at Jacobson to ensure he didn't notice the exchange.

As the music ended and the group began to mingle, Elijah approached Alex and the general. "Benjamin," he muttered his greeting to the general. "I hear you are retiring to Mayfair. Congratulations."

"Thank you, Dandridge," the general replied with a genuine smile to Elijah's monotone recognition. "And you are remodeling your residence?"

"Mm, yes. I plan to marry soon and want to ensure it meets my bride's standards."

"Good form," Alex said. "I know some women are hard to please. My wife is an exception, of course." He winked at Penelope.

"Is that true, Miss Kendrick? Are women difficult to please?" Benjamin asked.

"I am not sure. I personally would be pleased with my husband's decisions on the home..."

"Oh, that is nonsense," Benjamin laughed. "I'm sure you would decorate it to your taste immediately."

"I, uh, don't know. I, uh..."

"You would defer to your husband?" Benjamin said in disbelief. "You would not need to."

"I appreciate that. But I think the man I would marry - if that ever comes to pass - would want me to trust his..."

"Truly, Min?" Penelope asked.