12

"Truly? You are engaged?!" Penelope asked in a whisper as the girls rode their horses through Hyde Park.

"Well, no one knows about it. And I haven't seen Elijah since he moved out a few days ago..."

"Perhaps it was all just part of that bet they made..."

"Maybe," Minerva said with a sigh. "It could be a game. He didn't even write my parents that I know of - or tell Michael."

"But he said he loved you? So it must be..."

"He didn't say the words, and then he never mentioned it again."

"What did he say then?"

"Oh, nothing. Perhaps I misunderstood."

"Alex has been hanging out with Elijah a lot more. I must say I like him a lot."

"Elijah? I didn't realize you thought one way or the other," Minerva said.

"I find him pleasant most of the time. Although he can be even bossier than my dear husband - which I didn't think possible. And he is handsome..."

"Handsome? You fancy Eli?"

"Well, I'm married..."

"But you fancy the Lieutenant General, the Earl of Sutton. You little minx," Minerva giggled.

"You aren't upset, are you?"

"Not at all. In fact, I find the duke quite attractive myself. And very nice to me."

"I think he enjoyed touching you too, Min," Penelope laughed.

"Oh, yes, that...." Minerva blushed.

"You are the only woman I would ever do that with. And definitely the only girl I would let Alex touch and talk about ad nauseam."

"Talk about?"

"Yes, talk about. It is actually cute. I believe Alex has a crush."

"Pen! You know I would never..."

Penelope giggled. "I'm not worried about it. I've not been jealous. At first, I think he was testing the waters with that - to see if I was getting angry or worried. But then he would ask about you or say how lovely you looked."

"Really?"

"Mmhm. So I mentioned how handsome Eli is..."

"Did he kill Elijah?" Minerva asked with a chuckle.

"No. Alex actually," Penelope stopped her horse. "He asked if I would like to sleep with him."

"Nooooo!"

"Yes. He didn't even say 'fuck' as he tends to do. He said, 'make love.'"

"What did you say?!"

"What would you say?"

"Hell yes," Minerva thought about Elijah as she responded. It was always a 'yes' to Elijah for her.

"Then you have your answer."

"Was he angry?"

"No. He said he would," Penelope looked around to ensure their privacy. "He would like to...do that with you!"

"Nooooo!"

"Yes. And not just with me being there!"

"He said that?! To you?! You would never..."

"I told him it would be fine..." Penelope said with a shrug.

"What?! Are you mad, woman?! That is more like an affair than..."