3

As Minerva entered the corridor, she heard the music stop, and Elijah was nowhere to be seen. She poked her head back into the drawing room before going to bed.

Inside she saw Felicity, the young debutante, being fawned over by Minerva's brother and several other gentlemen, including Elijah.

And Felicity was utterly enthralled by Elijah. He picked up her hand and kissed it, and said something over her knuckles.

It occurred to Minerva that the hand he used was the same one that cupped her only moments before - the same hand covered in her cream. And now he would associate it with Felicity - the smell and taste would be hers, not Minerva's.

And for some reason, that stung.

***

The next day was a welcome event because it meant that Minerva could find her backbone and say all the words she had practiced in her room the night before.

Sleep evaded her, especially when she heard Elijah's door close several hours after her own. She just imagined him sitting with Felicity and the girl flirting with the wretched man.

Minerva felt dirty and used, and she planned on giving the lout a piece of her mind.

But the men were carousing at the folly as they often did at her brother's parties. So her conversation would have to wait.

Penelope and Minerva spent the afternoon recounting the evening before, minus Minerva's encounter with Dandridge. There was no need to add that information to the mix.

When the men finally returned, most were completely drunk, while the others were sunburned and wet from a swim-or both.

Minerva eyed Elijah as he made his way up the lawn. He slung his topcoat over his shoulder and bent his face back to catch the sun. Michael and Alex flanked him as he walked. The other two men were clearly drunk and chatting away. But Elijah appeared sober as a judge.

"Nell!" Alex shouted as they neared. "Fuck! I missed your sweet..."

"Alex," Penelope warned as he forgot the company he kept.

"Apologies, lady wife," he snickered. "I believe I need some rest. Will you join me?"

"Yes, your grace," Penelope said with a bright smile and a knowing look.

"Well, if it ain't Minny and Penny back together again!" Minerva's brother belted. "But Penny is going to get a little c-"

"Let me stop you before you make an ass of yourself, Kendrick," Elijah said. "Or more of one, I should say."

Michael blew a raspberry and began to jog up the lawn to a few single women drinking tea. "Ladies!"

Minerva sighed as she watched her friend and brother flee the scene. It wasn't until she felt Elijah's shadow that she realized he wasn't with them.

"Minerva," he said under his breath. "Were you well-behaved today?"

With those words, all thoughts of the tongue lashing she planned were out the window. "Ye-yes, my lord."

"Good girl. If you will excuse me, Lady Felicity would like to have some tea with me."

"Yes, my lord," but jealousy pulsed through Minerva as she recalled him greeting the girl last night.

"Ah, Michael doesn't plan to ask her to wed, does he?"

"I'm not privy to that information, my lord. But she would make a good match for you, I'm sure of it. Diamond of the season."

"Undoubtedly," he muttered and began to walk away. Then he stopped, continuing to face forward. "And I am sure she would be very open to a mistress."

Minerva's jaw dropped with his implication. "I wouldn't know."