14

"What the fuck did you do?"

I stare at the blood in the sink. What did I do?

"I got a nosebleed." I mutter trying to hide the truth. I can't look Zach in the eyes because I know he will see that I'm lying.

"You don't need a bandage when you nosebleed, Valeri." He says slowly as he looks at me.

I just stare at the sink ignoring his wondering eyes. Mine fill with tears so I look away. Away from him. Away from blood.

Wait I didn't lock the door? How could I forget? I told myself I will clean everything up when I wake up because I was tired but it looks like I forgot to do it.

I quickly wipe my tears not wanting him to notice.

"Valeri." Zach whispers.

"It's not what you think it is." I whisper.

"Then what happened?"

"I've already told you I had a nosebleed." I shrug with my shoulders and start cleaning the dried blood.

"Why did you need a bandage?" He's behind me looking at my face through the mirror.

"I was just searching for something to stop it and I found a bandage but I knew it won't help so I just left it here on the counter." I say the first thing that comes into my mind.

Zach looks unsure but his face softens. "Oh. Okay." He says still searching my face.

I want to tell him so bad.

He doesn't believe me, does he?

ZACHARY

The first thing that comes in my mind is self harm. Does Valeri still do it?

She told me it was just a nosebleed and it kind of makes sense now. I was overreacting. It was nothing.

But she still didn't look in my eyes. Was she lying?

Nah I'm definitely overreacting even though I was worried sick last night because of the way she rushed out of my room.

"Oh. Okay." I say. "Do I help you clean up?" I add after a few moments.

"No that's okay."

"Alright. Come downstairs after you finish." I step closer to her and hug her.

She freezes but then returns the hug.

Then I leave her room.

VALERI

I have no idea how I got away with it but I feel sort of relieved even though a part of me wanted to tell Zach everything.

He left me alone in the bathroom as he went back downstairs.

I know he didn't truly believe me. He looked so confused and worried. What was he thinking? About self harm?

Yup he definitely thought that I hurt myself.

I mean it's true but still.

I lock my bathroom door and hop up on the counter. First I take off the bandage on my wrist. I see the cuts stopped bleeding and are starting to heal. I take some gauze and put it on. Then I take off the bandages on my thighs and do the same.