Chapter 6- Growing Bonds

On Christmas morning, I woke early and opened all my presents quickly. Bill and Charlie had bought me a wand holster to match my moke skin bag as well as a pair of dragon leather gloves that are enchanted to grow with me, Percy had sent a letter telling me how he would see me at the ball and give me my present there, Mona, Celina, and Midia had all pitched in to get me a beautiful silver pin for my hair and a matching set of earrings to wear to the ball.

I got out of bed and pulled a pair of sweats over my sleep shorts and tugged on my sweater from Mum. It was quite large this year and I felt very snuggly in it. Maybe she realized how much I love to steal my brothers' old sweaters, I probably have about 3 years worth of outgrown Weasley boy sweaters tucked away in my trunk.

Around 8:00, I walked in to Hermione's room and saw her pulling on her own Weasley sweater before we left to go see the boys in their dorm. Neville, Harry, and Ron were all there sleepily opening the presents on their beds so Hermione and I sat on the ends of Ron and Neville's beds while we watched.

Fred and George popped their heads in the room an hour later to tell us it was time for breakfast. When I saw George, I realized mine was so large because mum had mixed up our sweaters as his was quite small. I pointed this out to him and offered to switch, but always the jokester, he refused to switch back and strutted around with his belly out for the world to see.

After breakfast, we went out in the grounds to have our traditional Christmas snowball fight. Fred and George were joined by Lee Jordan, Parvati and Padma Patil, Lavender Brown, and Katie Bell. We convinced Angelina Johnson and Alicia Spinnet to join our team and had nearly won when Lee took out his wand and caused an avalanche of snow to fall from the branches high above us. I blinked under the snow and felt my ears grow quite warm as the snow melted off my body and away from my feet. Weird, I didn't think I was so upset to do accidental magic. With a concerned look at me, Fred announced that we should all go inside and warm up by the fire with some hot chocolate and wizard's chess.

Back in the common room, I was playing Harry in chess (and winning) when Hermione jumped up and shouted, "Oh, no! I have to go get ready!", I glanced at the clock on the wall and decided she was right, but I wanted to finish this game with Harry first. "Knight to E3. So, Harry, are you excited for the ball?" I said as I watched my knight take his queen. "How are you Weasley's all so good at this game?? Bishop to H7. I suppose a little? I am dreading having to dress up though... I'd rather go in my pajamas to be honest." His bishop scooted forward and smashed one of my pawns. "It's a gift, queen to D1." My queen moved forward and karate chopped Harry's king. "That is an intriguing thought, but I do kind of like the idea of getting to dress up. So, now that you've lost, I must go and get ready for the ball. Save me a dance tonight? It'll be my victory prize." I said as I stood up and walked off to my dorm to wash up and get dressed.

Neville was waiting near the fire in a smart set of black dress robes with his hair combed behind his ears. He looked quite grown up, "Neville, you look wonderful tonight. Have someone to impress?" I said cheekily as I walked up beside him, he looked down at me and smiled hugely, "Only a lovely friend in beautiful blue robes. You look quite grown up yourself, Miss Weasley." I took his outstretched arm and we made our way down to the entrance hall, laughing and talking all the way. I'm so glad to be attending the ball with a friend.

Once professor Dumbledore and the other council members entered the Great Hall, the students filed in to see a magical ice palace where the Great Hall used to be. It had been transformed, since the morning, into a winter wonderland with ice sculptures on tables and the massive Christmas trees decorated with silver ornaments and tinsel. And, of course in the tradition of the Yule, there was a single yule log burning in the fireplace behind the head table.