Four

In the Elder's humble abode, sat the entire council, including Sir James and Sir Tom. They sat on a circular table to discuss the horrifying events of the supposedly peaceful day.

"This is not coincidence, my brethren." he spoke first. "We all know who the infamous Modosites are. A band of thieves who sold their soul to the Dark Master. Thieves who steal gold, jewels and other treasures for their own selfish gain and to offer as tributes to their Overlord. But worst than thieves... their the most wicked of assassins. Killing innocents lives to offer the blood of their kills to their Master." the Elder says sadly but at the same time boldly, "Now.. to have them attack us on this honored day only means that we have attracted their attention."

"Attracted their attention? How so, Elder?" Sir Tom queried.

"Although these band of murderers are ruthless and wicked, they do not kill without meaning. They do not attack without the direct order of their Evil Overlord. Their spirits... Their instincts attacks those that the Overlord could use or those individuals that could be a threat to him." the Elder explained. "I'm talking about your daughter, Sir Tom."

Sir Tom widened his eyes, "My Daughter? Why? How can my sweet little Cynthia be a threat to the Overlord?"

"I feared for her life the moment she started her oration." the Elder sighed, "The story of the First Generation... a story only Men of great wisdom know in full detail... It surprised me to know that she knew it in full detail too."

Sir Tom then narrowed his eyes, "Ah... I see, sir. But... it is not Cynthia's fault."

The whole council turned to him.

"But of my other daughter, Corinthia."

"How so?" the Elder asked.

"I know for a fact that Corinthia has been helping her sister in practicing for her oration. And it was Corinthia's choice that the tale of the First Generation be used in Cynthia's oration."

Before the Elder could respond to that, Sir James spoke first.

"Well then, good sir, if you dare put the blame on Corinthia, I would like to vouch for her and proclaim that it is I who had told the tale to her."

The whole council had gasp and whispers began among them.

"What? Why would  you do such a thing, Sir James?" Sir Tom exclaimed, his eyes wide. "You dare tell a tale full of wisdom to a woman of little knowledge?!"

"I beg to disagree, Sir Tom. Both your daughters are not women of little wisdom..." Sir James trailed off when Sir Tom interrupted.

"Oh, I know my Cynthia is a bright and outspoken young lady! But Corinthia?! She's..."

"...a very bright child, with a kind heart and kindred spirit... A fact you failed to see because you were blinded by anger and rage."

The whole council whispered even louder. The Elder kept a neutral face, analyzing the exchange of the two men.

Sir Tom's face turned red and he was about to answer back, but Sir James continued his preach.

"She is a kind-hearted woman. When she finishes her chores in your abode, she either comes to visit and look after an old man like me with no family to depend on or she visits the Union's Orphanage to read books to the young children. Isn't that right, Sir Felix?" Sir James turned to a much younger man at his side.

"Uh, Yes, that is true, sir." Sir Felix said. He was the caretaker and head of the Union's orphanage.

Sir James turned back to Sir Tom, "All this years, you failed to observe such character... choosing to dwell on the past and nurture your ego."