Five

Sir James invited his guests inside and offered them tea in the living room. Prince Zerah and Elder Josef politely nursed their cups but Corinthia was just staring blankly into space, her cup untouched.

Sir James noticed and sighed, knowing that now was the time for her to know the rest of the Tale of the First Generation. Clearing his throat, “Corinthia…”

Corinthia, blinking her eyes, turned to Sir James and waited expectantly.

“I believe… I believe now would be the ideal time to tell you the truth… the truth about who you are.”

Corinthia raised her brow and wanted to ask what that meant. But she just kept her mouth shut and waited for Sir James to explain further, knowing that she was about to find out anyway.

“You see, my dear… the other half of the Tale of the First Generation… well, I couldn’t tell you before because I felt that it was too soon. I guess I was being too overprotective of you, but I know that no matter how hard I try, I can’t keep you from fulfilling your destiny.” He said sadly.

“What are you talking about sir? I don’t understand how I could be connected to the First Generation when… I’m… well, part of THIS generation we have now.”

Sir James sighed, “My dear, the First Generation was an era where peace reigned… but just like every tale, this one had an ending… And I’m afraid it wasn’t a happy one.”

Prince Zerah and Elder Josef politely listened and did not interrupt Sir James. The Prince carefully watched Corinthia, curious to see how she would react to the things she was about to learn in a moment. 

Finally, Sir James began the tale… the other half of the Tale of the First Generation.

 “The First Generation was peaceful people who were united and refined beings. But all that changed when an Elder of Farmers Village, named Katar, visited the Hunters one day. 

It was supposed to be an ordinary day. Every other month, an Elder visits the Hunters Tribe to see if there are any problems that the Farmers could help them with. Just like the Peace Ceremony that was held annually, this visitation is done to maintain the friendship of the two groups and to keep their bond in tact.” Sir James explained.

 “Katar, being assigned for the visitation, had met an old black smith named Tartus while he was on his way to the Head Chief’s house. Tartus was excited about something and when he saw the Elder passing by his place, he immediately wanted to tell the Elder all about it. Elder Katar, noticing his excitement, was just delighted to stop for a moment to listen to what the blacksmith had to say. Tartus showed the elder his latest invention. A firearm designed to kill a beast instantly with just a pull of the trigger. A Makina, he called it. Bringing the Elder out in the woods, Tartus demonstrated it to The Elder Xatash. With a pull of the Makina, a sound like thunder boomed, startling the Elder. And Tartus had just killed a deer several feet away from them." Sir James sighed, knowing that the tale was about to take a dark turn.

"Katar, smiling proudly, turned to the Elder and told him that with this weapon, it would be easier for the Hunters to gather more meat for them to consume, and it would reduce injuries and casualties that often came with a close attack and battle with wild beasts. Since this weapon could be used even when the hunter was several feet away from his target, they would be out of reach to the wild beasts who wishes to counter attack." Sir James explained.

"But he was full of himself, blinded with pride for a weapon he thought would bring progress." Elder Josef sighed.

Sir James nodded, "Elder Josef is right my dear... and that's exactly what Elder Katar saw too." he said. "Elder Katar foreseen that despite the purpose Tartus intended it to be used for, the function of such weapon could be misused if it fell on the hands of a foolish individual. There was no way to be sure that the weapon be only be utilized solely for the means of hunting... What if the individual using such weapon was angry at someone and wished him dead? That was what bothered Katar about Tartus's invention.