The Problem.

The Problem is the term used for the massive issue of hauntings by ghosts in England

The Problem is the term used for the massive issue of hauntings by ghosts in England. Hauntings happen almost exclusively at night.

The first successful removal of a ghost was done by Marissa Fittes, a skilled Listener and Tom Rotwell, who had the Talent of Sight.

Eventually, agencies were formed to control the Problem. DEPRAC, or the Department of Psychic Research and Control, was founded to learn and find new ways to control the Problem and monitor the agencies.

Many discoveries were made and large corporations rose to prominence as results of the Problem. Two such corporations are Fairfax Iron, who manufactures chains and seals to contain or keep away ghosts. Sunrise Corporation, who produce flares and seals and other products to deal with the Problem.

People also defend against ghosts. People like Sensitives, Agents and Night-watchers have a certain Talent. The three Talents are Listening, Touch and Sight. Listening is the act of listening to the voices and other sound effects included in hauntings. Sight is the ability to see Visitors clearly, as well as death-glows. Lastly, the gift of Touch makes people feel as if they are at the scene of the psychic trauma imprinted on an object.

Agents are people who fight and destroy the sources of ghosts for a living. Night-watchers are people who have a Talent and defend a private area for an amount of money. Sensitives are people who, even though they have a Talent, do not defend against Visitors or fight them, instead they are hired to find out if a portion of land is haunted.

🪄🪄🪄

Born during the fourth official decade of the Problem, Valerie Klein was gifted with a rare Talent of Listening. Her mother sent her off to Jacobs & Co by the age of eleven against her will, but she soon learned to love her new life. She'd not only met her best friend Norah Johnson but her boyfriend Andrew Fittes there.

But everything changed after the Wythburn Mill Incident. Valerie felt uneasy and tried to convince Andrew who had been their supervisor to pull back, but he refused. The apparition turned out to be a Changer, a dangerous Type Two ghost strong enough to alter its appearance during a manifestation. Everyone except her and Andrew was killed.

When Valerie gave evidence, she tried to describe the original unease she felt but was forced to admit that she detected nothing concrete by the Fittes family, even her own mother did not back her up, so the incident was declared to be a classic case of Death By Misadventure.

After that Valerie left the small town and headed out for London without a second thought.

14. 02. 2023