The Swinging City.

The sixteen year old stood outside 35 Portland Row

The sixteen year old stood outside 35 Portland Row. A.J Lockwood & Co. Investigators. The sign read.

Valerie had been hovering around London for the past two days and without proper documents every agency had turned her down, her last hope was Lockwood & Co. Whatever agency this was? She hadn't heard or read anything about them but she needed them.

She'd been staring at her doc martens boots for a little too long, finally she took a breath and rang the door bell. A teenager dressed in baggy clothings opened the door. "Are you Arif's new girl?"

"Who's Arif?" She questioned the curly haired boy back.

"Runs the corner shop, usually sends donuts about now. But you don't have any donuts," he said adjusting his black framed glasses, "and you're too pretty to be Arif's girl."

What a weird boy. "Sorry, are you Mr. Lockwood?"

"Do you want me to be?" He gave her a little smirk. Even in that weather gloomy weather, the girl was wearing a mini skirt.

Was he trying to flirt? She didn't care. She pulled out the newspaper article from her cardigan pocket. "Can I see him? I saw his advert on the paper?"

"Oh!" The teenager sounded a bit surprised. "you're a candidate."

"Yes, yes I am."

"Come in." He welcomed her in.

Valerie stepped inside the wooden interiors. The house had a very cosy, welcoming feel to it. Until she heard a girl scream, "oh my god! Get that away from me!" The blonde girl ran past the teenagers and straight out of the main door.

Should she be concerned? But she followed the boy into the living room anyway, she needed a job, desperately. "You win, there was one more." The boy announced as they stepped into a well furnished living room.

A boy in black clothings stood by the fireplace, his back on them. "No, you win George. I checked the list. That was the last one."

"Then who's this?" George nodded at Valerie.

He turned around, Valerie caught her breath. The boy standing before her was none other than Anthony Lockwood, she recognised him from the rapier competition during which he beat Andrew Fittes. He smiled and introduced himself, "hello, I'm Anthony Lockwood."

"I'm Valerie Klein, I don't have an appointment but I saw your advert in the paper and I was in the area."

"You've heard of us?" Anthony asked hopefully. The boy was tall, pale and wore business-casual attire underneath his long coat.