CHAPTER XIII

Back in the Lion Academy, it couldn't be any peaceful. With the well-known troublemaker gone, it was not as chaotic as it used to be. It felt odd and dissatisfying. There lingers a feeling of relief but at the same time, a constant grief that pulls that comfort down. It truly is a confusing and a burdensome mix of emotions

     "Excuse me, are you going to pay or no?" The stern voice of the librarian woke the mage genius back from his world of thoughts. "Ah yes. Apologies." He places a small stash of gold onto the counter as the lady processes the transaction.

     Ever since that moment, when you pried yourself away from his grasps and ran away to who knows where, Harley has been overthinking. He didn't function today the way he usually does and it got one of her closest friends, Lylia, concerned. He was the only person who knew what caused your disappearance and it was such a pain to know that your dearest friends have absolutely no idea that you're gone.

     When the empire hears about it, he won't know how to tell them nor does he know how to go about his life knowing with a friend lost somewhere in a different universe. He wants to do something and he feels like he needs to. Yet, those words you said before running away stops him from doing so.

     "Here's your receipt." The librarian handed over a small piece of paper with mage scriptures on it. As Harley took it from her hand, he received a slight glare from the lady's eyes. "I won't allow anymore tampering of resources in my library. Please don't let your Leonin friend do this again." She huffs and Harley just gave her a weak reply. "It certainly won't"

     Harley left the library and walked through his school's hallways with his back slumped. He didn't really care about the composure he must uphold as the top student. He was too busy reconciling to even spare it a thought. Usually, if you ever catch him in this state, you'd hit him hard on the back and he would argue with you. At the end of the day, he would feel relieved and at ease. "You really do realize what you have until it's gone."

     The young mage left the campus and made his way home. He could just call for a private ride to fetch him but he doesn't want to wait. A peaceful walk will probably help ease his mind for just a bit. It truly is a heavy feeling to know that you're gone. You're alive and well and yet it seems like you just died. They can't be with you anymore cause you're too busy enjoying your new life in some place like heaven. A world where you can live both your dreams.

      As Harley treks the road passing through a certain forest, he tries to divert his attention to the nature surrounding him. The hums of magical birds atop the trees and the animals that walk below are all so majestic to see.

     Though, a low fearsome growl was heard that didn't seem to fit in with the other sounds of the forest. It was alarmingly too close to the mage that he held his magic staff in a defensive stance. "Who's there?" He called out sternly. Harley's eyes were looking into different directions, in search for whoever may that hungry groan come from.

     As expected, a four-legged beast attempted to prance on him but fortunately for the mage, he was able to teleport away at a certain distance from the monster. One gaze at his predator and he already knew that it was a minion from the abyss. It was very strange why such creature would dare hunt for food at a place so close to where their enemies were. Yet, that was the least of his concern as of the moment.

      "Take this!" Harley magically summoned his lethal playing cards with his staff and threw them at the beasts direction. It cried out of agony from his piercing attack as it fell on the ground. Just before he thinks it was over, a small batch of demons blocked his way from leaving the scene. He had to deal with a couple of weak beasts unprepared for the mage didn't exactly have enough mana with him.