Back to school

"Rain, Sky," Phan ran up behind their group and threw her arms around the necks of the two friends as they walk side by side.

"Phan!" Rain said with delight, "Are you starting your classes today as well?"

"She is," Sky said, "Business administration just like her brothers. Everyone this is Phan, P'Pai's younger sister. Phan, these are our friends Ple, Sig, Por, and Ple's boyfriend P'Kiat." Sky puts a little emphasis on the last to keep Phan from getting any ideas. Ple is very pretty and Phan is a little bit of a player just like her brother used to be.

"Hi everyone," Phan greeted cheerfully, adding a wai.

"We have to go to class but you will join us for lunch right? Please?." Rain said, he absolutely loved Phan. Maybe because they had similar bubbly personalities, Sky thought.

Phan laughed and said she would so they agreed to meet in the cafeteria later. P'Kiat also left for his classes.

"So where's P'Som today?" Rain asked Sig. Since he and Sig started dating he had become a member of the friend group by extension.

"He had to prepare some things for the junior welcoming ceremony tonight." Sig answered. "We are all having a meeting after classes."

Rain was the only one in the group not on the student council. Now he said, "Can I help? P'Phayu won't be off work until late. I would like to help welcome the juniors. That would be fun."

Rain would probably try to collect the entire junior class into the friend group, Sky thought with some amusement. "We could always use another pair of hands," he said.

Their first classes weren't too bad, but they were already being given assignments that had to be turned in by the end of the week. Between freshman orientation activities and assignments Sky could already see the start of the semester was going to be brutal. He was glad P'Pai was bringing food to his dorm room tonight otherwise he wasn't sure if he'd have time to eat.

Phan, P'Kiat, and P'Som all joined them for lunch. Sky couldn't help but notice P'Som was already looking a little harried. He was beginning his fourth year and was the senior in charge of the freshman orientation. That meant double the responsibility of anyone else on the student council since he also had to be the go between for teachers, his own seniors, and alumni. Sky decided to suggest that Rain help him out since Rain had zero responsibilities for the council. Rain was good with paperwork and there would be plenty of that.

Afternoon classes meant even more assignments. It seemed the seniors hadn't exaggerated how much more work was involved in second year.

Rain turned out to be a big help. He was happy to help out P'Som with the paperwork and he even went to get them snacks and water while they were having the meeting. He also helped greet the freshman and organized them into games that would help them get to know each other. The night ended with Sig announcing that he and P'Som would lead all the freshman in the roasted chicken dance, which was met with many groans and much laughter.

P'Pai and P'Phayu were waiting when they finished. P'Pai of course was going with Sky to his dorm where he slept most nights and P'Phayu hadn't wanted Rain to drive home alone so late. Rain proudly showed P'Phayu the box of paperwork he had agreed to help with, and the senior threw an arm over Rain's shoulder, happy that he was helping out.

On their way home Rain discussed his assignments and classes with P'Phayu. Rain was very excited because one of the teachers had shown them some slides of Korean architecture and Rain had been to several of the sites in person while visiting his mom's family.

Phayu smiled, Rain had such an enthusiasm for architecture it surpassed even his own. Phayu could listen to his cute boy go on for hours about it.

It was late by the time they got home so Phayu made them cold cut sandwiches while Rain started the first of his assignments, a report on ancient architecture. He wouldn't be able to finish tonight but he could at least outline it and start gathering source material.

By the time they went to bed, Rain was exhausted from the first day's activity. He immediately dropped off without Phayu needing to sing him to sleep tonight.

The second day wasn't much different from the first except now the group was using every spare minute between classes, before and after school to work on assignments and orientation activities. By the time Friday rolled around and the first of their assignments were turned in everyone was completely wiped out. Even Rain, who had worked his butt off helping P'Som between his own assignments, was oddly quiet and looked like he could barely hold his head up.

"I am going to sleep the entire weekend," Sig declared.

"Me too," Rain agreed.

"We still have assignments to work on," Ple said gloomily.

Everyone, even Sky, groaned and wondered if they would survive this year. This was only second year too.

Sky went back to his dorm for a quick nap. He and Phan were going back to P'Pai's family home for the weekend and for once Sky wasn't looking forward to it. He was ready to just burrow into a blanket and not come out until Monday.

He was still tired even after a short nap so he slept in the car while Phan drove. He knew he should keep her company but he couldn't keep his eyes open. By the time they got to the house he was feeling slightly better. He was even able to enjoy the family dinner that night but excused himself to go to bed right after. He was snoring softly when Pai joined him. Pai couldn't help the smile at the cuteness of Sky curled up with only the top of his head showing from under the covers.

Phayu shook his head with a smile. Apparently Rain had tried to wait up for him, but he was passed out on the sofa and looked like he wouldn't wake up if the room was on fire. Phayu picked him up and carried him to bed giving him a kiss on the forehead, "Keep fighting, good boy.," he whispered.

By Saturday Rain was his usual bubbly self. He sat on a wooden crate in the corner of the garage kicking his feet while P'Phayu worked on a bike. He was excited because P'Phayu was going to take him to a movie that afternoon and then to Rain's favorite Korean restaurant as a reward for doing well that first week and volunteering to help with freshman activities. Rain had worked on his assignments that morning so he was free for the rest of the weekend.

The movie was of the giant monster destroying a city variety, not great but just good dumb fun. Rain enjoyed it very much and talked about it animatedly through dinner while Phayu listened with a smile. It was a beautiful night and they decided to go to the park after dinner. They walked hand in hand enjoying each other's company. It was just nice being like this sometimes.