Wind Storms

The impromptu beach party had been Rain's and Phan's idea, but everyone agreed it had been a great way to relax after a long week of school and work. It had been a fun day, but now everyone was simply sitting around the fire lazily listening to the waves lap on the beach.

Rain looked around in satisfaction at the way their friend group had grown. Him, Ple, Sky, P'Phayu, P'Pai, P'Som, Sig, Por, Phan and P'Kiat. Four happy couples and their two currently token single people Por and Phan (Rain was already secretly considering reconvening the mission love atmosphere group to find matches for those two).

It suddenly occurred to him that he knew how everyone of them had met with the exception of P'Phayu and P'Pai. What a better way to spend a lazy night on the beach than with story time.

"P'Phayu," he said, "how did you and P'Pai meet?"

Phan snorted at this causing her brother to glare at her.

It must be an interesting story, Rain thought. Now he had to know.

Normally Phayu's father ran the pit crew for their garage with Phayu as his assistant but his father was on an emergency business trip this weekend. It was going to be Phayu's first weekend working the races by himself and they already had a major problem.

Oat, P'Pakin's number one racer was sick. Normally Phayu could have taken his place, he didn't really care for racing but he was good at it. Without his father there though he needed to stay with the mechanics. That only left the new guy, well kid was a better description, even though he was Phayu's own age, his attitude made him seem much younger.

Phayu's first impression of Prapai had been "spoiled rich kid" and nothing he had seen of the guy had changed his mind since. Sure he was good on the bike, almost as good as Oat, but he liked to show off and take too many chances. He didn't respect the bikes.

Phayu sighed. It wasn't like they had a choice. He  went to find Prapai to let him know. Of course he found the kid behind a stack of crates with one of the pit bunnies. That was another Phayu didn't like about Prapai, he was a major player. Phayu had never seen him with the same partner twice.

At least the afternoon went smoothly. Prapai even won three of his races. Phayu just wished he would learn how to listen to the engines and not push the bikes so hard. Maybe he could teach him if the kid would listen.

The next day Phayu had to attend a birthday party of one of his seniors, P'Off, from the university. He was surprised to see Prapai there, although he probably shouldn't have been. He knew Prapai was in the business faculty of the same university as Phayu. It wasn't surprising that they knew some of the same people.

Prapai was with two teenagers that Phayu assumed were his siblings. Although they didn't look that much alike there was something similar in all three. P'Off motioned him over to the group.

"Phayu, you know Pai right? This is Phan and Plerng his sister and brother."

The two greeted him, Phan with a smile and  Plerng with a speculating look that caused his brother to lean over and whisper "no" firmly.

"But," Plerng said.

"Absolutely not," Prapai said firmly, "I have to work with him at the racetrack."

Phayu rolled his eyes, he now sees what was similar, all three siblings were shameless. Even as the brothers were arguing he saw Phan wink at a girl about her age that was watching the group in admiration.

Still Phayu can't help but notice how Prapai takes care of his two siblings. He wouldn't have thought "responsible older brother" was in the kid's job description.

Pai knows that Phayu doesn't approve of him. He knows it's his own fault as well. He can be overly cocky when it comes to his riding skills. When he had first met Phayu he had dismissed him as "just a mechanic". That had been stupid and narrow minded of him, he knows that now. He has come to admire the guy over the last few weeks and wants to extend an olive branch, but he's not sure how.

His opportunity comes at the next race where they are both working. Oat and Phayu's father are back so that gives both boys some free time.

Pai pulls Phayu to the side and asks him how to improve his riding skill.

Phayu looks at him for a minute then says, "You push the engine too hard before you let it warm up properly."

"Oh, how will I know when to push?"

"You have to listen to the engine. You'll be able to  tell by the sound."

"Can you teach me?"

Phayu nods looking a little surprised. "Stay after the races, I will go get permission from P'Pakin to use the track."

Phayu shows Pai what he means about listening to the engine, then they have some mock races. Phayu wins the first two but Pai is actually able to beat him on the third by applying what Phayu taught him. Both are grinning by the time they finish. After that it not unusual for the two to race  once the track is closed. It gives Phayu the added benefit of testing out the engines of the bikes he is working on.

They also start hanging out at school, bonding over their mutual love for bikes and fast cars. Although Phayu is more interested in the engines while Pai loves them for their speed. Over the next few years Phayu becomes as close to Pai and his siblings. Even Pai's parents and uncle consider Phayu to be part of the family.

On the night two days before their fifth year of university start, Phayu calls him to tell him all about the cute boy he had met and changed the tire for. He hadn't been able to get the boy's name and worried if he would see him again.

On the first day of school, Phayu excitedly told Pai that not only was the boy among the university freshman, but he was Phayu's own junior in the architecture facility. Phayu discreetly pointed him out. Pai admitted that the boy was cute, a little like a Korean idol. Then Pai had spotted his friend sitting next to him and felt like the breath had been knocked out of him.

Rain grinned, while Sky rolled his eyes at this last part. So over the top cheesy.

Phan laughed, "When they first met no one would have guessed they would be friends. They looked ready to murder each other."

"Well, it didn't help that I called Phayu, 'hey you mechanic'". Pai admitted. "I was so young and cocky back then."

"What do you mean back then?" Phayu asked, "You are still too cocky for your own good, you are just lucky Sky puts up with you."

"True." Says Pai, not about to deny it.

The group sits quietly around the camp fire for a bit until Rain brings out Phayu's guitar and talks him into giving them a song. It's a familiar one and they all join in on the chorus.