A Brave Slytherin

A Brave Slytherin

As we hopped of the train we split up with the older student’s and followed a voice calling, “Firs years, Firs years come ter me. Firs years over ere!

There was a giant man about two times as tall and five times as wide as Crabbe (and that’s saying something) was standing to the side of the platform. He led us down a steep track that had most people tripping and to a small jetty. Draco, Marcal, Crabbe and I had to ourselves.

”Alrighty is everyone in? Yes? Let’s go!” And suddenly all the boats started sailing themselves across the lake.

We finally arrived at Hogwarts and OH.MY.BlOODY.GOD it was the most magnificent place I had ever seen. I could only see the outline ant the lights in the dark but it was still so hard to describe. I had only seen one place near the size of this place and that was Buckingham palace which was still not as big. The front doors opened revealing the most ginormous hall in the world.

“The others must in the great hall waiting for the sorting,” whispered Draco in my ear and I was wondering how any hall could be greater than this one.

An old witch came out the front of the group and said, “Welcome to Hogwarts. The start of term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the great hall you will be sorted into your houses. The sorting is a very important ceremony because while you are at Hogwarts your house will become you family. You will sleep in your house dormitories; you will attend classes with the rest of your house and spend your spare time in your house common rooms. The four houses are called Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff and Slytherin. Your triumphs shall award your house points and any rule breaking will lose you points. The ceremony will commence in a few minutes I suggest you smarten yourself up while you wait.’’

Professor Mc Gonnigal walked out.

Just then a dozen pearly- white figures floated through the wall nearest to them. They seemed to be having an argument but I didn’t pay much attention because professor Mc Gonnigal walked back in. “Follow me.”

For the first time in my life, I felt truly nervous, before now I had just been going along with everything, but now I have no idea what happens to sort you.  But I’m just being stupid. I could probably kill this teacher with a look, but that would be bad on my personal record. Not that I keep one...

We were brought up to an old hat sitting on a stool. Just when I thought what was about to happen when the hat split at a seam and like it was a mouth it burst into song.

-Can’t be bothered to copy down the song-

OH. All we had to do was try it on.

‘’Abbot, Hannah,” was the first name Mc Gonnigal called. A small girl walked up and sat on the stool as Mc Gonnigal placed the hat on her head.

“Hufflepuff,” the hat called and the table on the left hand side of the hall erupted into applause. Hannah abbot ran over to that table a sat down on a bench.

The sorting continued until, “Lestrange, Marcal.”.

The effect was instantaneous the once silent hall erupted into whispers. In everyone’s minds there were the words Lestrange. Did she just say lestrange? As in related to Bellatrix?

Except one, in that one there was the picture of a face. My face. I swung round in the direction of the thought I saw the headmaster Albus Dumbledore staring at me. Not at my brother who just sat on the stool. Me.