8

I'm really sorry for the current lack of Uzuren- I'll add some soon

———————

I'm  hungry.

His stomach ached, as if telling him 'then get up and find someone to eat.'

Rengoku had no clue how long he'd been asleep. Hours, definitely. Days? Most likely. Every night the same two voices entered his room, so he estimated at least four full day/night cycles had passed. He knew that he was either in the Butterfly Mansion or his own Estate, the two most convenient places to let him recover in.

Recover? From a fist-sized hole in my gut?

He extended his awareness across his body, searching for any injuries. To his surprise, he found none.

The voices, who he assumed to be Kakushi, had left a while ago, so it was probably daytime. Not much happened or changed during the day, except that it was when other people came to sit with him. So far, Rengoku was only able to identify two of three people that had dropped by. Kanroji, and Kamado.

--------------

Uzui stepped through the doors of the Butterfly Mansion, noting with little interest as the Kakushi working in the building ducked out of his way. At the moment, he was more concerned with figuring out which room the flame hashira was in. He'd been putting off visiting Rengoku, but per his wives' request, and a convenient lack of demon attacks in the entertainment district, he was finally doing it.

Reaching out to tap Aoi on the top of her head, she whipped her head around with a frown. In her hands she held a stack of folded towels. "Yes, what is it?" she asked abruptly.

The pillar didn't like her tone while addressing him, but wasn't in the mood to argue with someone in that mood. "Where's Rengoku staying?" he asked, glancing down the hall.

"Second door from here on the left." Aoi raised a hand to point. "That direction."

Uzui turned to where she directed him. That section of the hall was kept marginally darker than the rest of the mansion, he observed. The window curtains were drawn, and the overhead lights dimmed to the point where one could only just see through it. As he was nearing the door, he began to wonder how the flame pillar was doing. It was known among all the Hashira, courtesy of the Kasugai Crows, that he had unwillingly been turned into a demon. However, since he hadn't woken since the incident, they knew nothing else.

Uzui slid the door open, stepping inside the dimly lit room. Rengoku's was the only bed, the only other furniture being a small nightstand pushed against the wall. For safety reasons, the demon had to be chained to the mattress; steel cuffs around his wrists were attached to a chain that wound underneath the frame of the bed. It was devastating that they had to take such a precaution around such a well-liked member of the corp, and no one enjoyed the fact.

Gazing upon the sleeping demon, the sound hashira felt something stir inside him. It was fiercely protective, but also gentle, and concerned. Definitely normal around someone who Uzui considered a friend, right?

He sat on the edge of the mattress, not seeing any reason to talk to someone who couldn't presently respond. Instead, he studied the flame-like patterns that had appeared on Rengoku's cheek and arms. They probably continued all over his body, but that was none of Uzui's business.

———————

Rengoku felt the mattress dip next to him. Immediately his stomach screamed at him to get up, that it's food had finally arrived on a silver platter. There wasn't much he could do but try to ignore it and figure out who it was.

The one time Kamado had visited, he had waited a moment then announced himself, talking a bit before wishing Rengoku well and leaving. Mitsuri said it was her as she walked in, spoke in a quiet voice for a few minutes, then left while promising to come back the next day. She never did. Rengoku simply assumed the sweet love hashira was sent on a mission.

Whoever had entered the room let out a soft exhale.

It's either Iguro, Tomioka, Tokito, or Uzui.

'Food,' his stomach informed him, 'they're all the same.'

Rengoku frowned. At least he thought he was frowning.

It would be perfect if I could have sweet potatoes when I wake up.

As if his conscious brain heard his unspoken command, Rengoku's eyes slit open. Even the minimal light in the room around him made him snap his eyes closed again. After a few more blinks, he finally opened his eyes fully. The first thing he saw was the handsome sound pillar staring at the ground.

'He looks like he'd taste good,' his starved stomach growled.

"Hello, Uzui!" He greeted the man, his voice scratchy after days of silence.

Uzui's head whipped around to look at the younger pillar. For a few seconds, the two stared each other down. Rengoku had a bright smile on his face.

Uzui blinked. "No one told you you could turn into a flashy demon, Rengoku!!" He shouted suddenly, though no real malice could be heard in his words.

Rengoku's smile wavered slightly, and he let his eyes fall to his nails, which had become sharp and pointed. He detested his new, demon self. "Are Kamado and his friends uninjured? Were any of the train passengers killed?" He asked, hoping he'd at least been able to protect them.

"You didn't let any precious lives slip through your fingers."

"Good." Rengoku's stomach growled hungrily, drawing a wary glance from the hashira before him. "... By any chance could I request some food?"

"Regular food?"

Rengoku nodded.

———————

All things considered, eating human food didn't go as horribly as he'd expected. He was able to keep it down, thankfully, but it didn't satisfy his hunger in the slightest. After a cautious examination from Kocho, she determined that Rengoku could gain energy from eating normal food, but could only feel full from consuming human flesh. Thus, his urges to attack people would only get stronger. There was no safe way to test this theory, so they decided to assume it was true.

———————

Later that day, Makio, Suma, and Hinatsuru set off for the Entertainment District.

———————

So... yeah
As always, please let me know if there's anything i can do to make them seem more in-character

Hydrate and eat some food!

My Missing Piece {Uzuren}जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें