46

Is it a good idea to wait to date until you find the "perfect" person? Aka a person you adore more than the world itself?

———————

Uzui and Mitsuri ended up being the ones following Rengoku, who, tucked away in the skull of honō no tora, was much faster than them. The oversized flame tiger kept checking to make sure they were still behind it, and did it's best to slow down to match their pace.

"Sooo..?" Mitsuri inched closer to Uzui, staring up at him with wide, sweet eyes. "You and Rengoku-san?"

He smiled. "More or less!"

"I'm so happy for you two!! You're so cute together!" She exclaimed.

"Yeah, well it probably helps that he's eight inches shorter than me, and just as flashy!" (Pls the height difference-)

Mitsuri hummed. "If you're the god of festivals, what does that make Rengoku-san?"

"A goddess," Uzui joked. As the love pillar giggled, he tried to come up with a legitimate answer. "The god of fireworks, the festival god's husband," He stated proudly.

Ahead of them, honō no tora stumbled, if it were even possible, tripping on its intangible paws. It caught its balance, whipping its head around to stare at Uzui as they continued running.

"I think he heard you," Mitsuri teased.

The flame tiger dipped its head bashfully, no doubt an influence of the pillar riding inside it. Through the large open nose hole in the skull, Uzui could see Rengoku curled up with his hands covering his face. He couldn't tell through the licking flames, but he was fairly certain the fire demon was blushing.

Grinning evilly, Uzui muttered, "Watch this." He cleared his throat, raising his voice. "Kyo, I've given you two kisses so far, when do I get mine?"

Honō no tora lashed its tail, facing forward and letting out a long, drawn out keen. Then it turned its head back, unhinging its jaw slightly and saying in a voice decidedly similar to Rengoku's, "Later!"

(Small timeskip)

Twenty minutes later, Mitsuri spoke up again. "So, you said earlier that at night we'd be atracked down.. what did you mean by that?"

The flame tiger snarled, the automated blood demon art back in control. It had decided with its zero brain cells that it was angry with Uppermoon Three for nearly killing Rengoku.

"He told me something about an unflashy uppermoon being an obsessive prick." Uzui stated sourly.

"An uppermoon?!"

"Yeah." Quietly, he added "I know he did something to Kyojuro. I don't know what, but when I find out, I'll kill the thing in the flashiest way possible."

Nodding, Mitsuri agreed, tapping the sheath of her katana. "I'll help! No one can hurt Rengoku-san without paying the consequences!"

The sound pillar looked her up and down. "You're flashy, you'll do."

A small cracking noise made Uzui turn to the flame tiger. A chunk of the back of the skull had fallen off, disintegrating as it hit the ground. Honō no tora nearly dropped the entire thing, but seemed to catch a second wind and continued running. It was no longer slowing down for the two hashira, and was running full tilt for the forests in the distance. The only reason it hadn't collapsed in on itself just then was because Rengoku had allowed it to take any and all fuel it could from him. Being temporarily immobile was better than dying, after all.

"Hell.. is it out already?" Uzui sped up, forcing his legs to move faster. The tree line was a good hundred meters away, and at the rate it's skull was disintegrating, it was looking like the tiger might not make it that far. With the amount of fatigue already casting shadows in his eyes from previous emotional exhaustion, Rengoku didn't care as honō no tora sapped what little energy he had left.

In just under a minute, the crackling sound of roasting pine needles filled the shady air around them. Tall conifers blotted out much of the sunlight, creating a near perfect environment for demons. Mitsuri busied herself with stomping out the embers before they caught fire, while Uzui stood underneath the flame tiger's open maw to catch the fire demon as he dropped out. Rengoku fell right into the sound pillar's arms, startled by the fall but relaxed upon finding himself held bridal style against the hashira's chest.

"Tired?" Uzui took note of the half-lidded expression on Rengoku's face. He's so cute when he's like this.

"Mhm."

"You can go to sleep, Kanroji and I will keep you safe." He gently squeezed the demon, placing another tiny kiss on his forehead.

Rengoku shook his head. "No, I'm not that out of it!"

Uzui chuckled. "We'll see how long you can stay awake, then." Crossing his arms in acceptance of the challenge, Rengoku dropped his feet to the ground and stood, planning to walk with them. Not two seconds later, he was climbing right back into Uzui's arms. The instant feeling of vertigo, nausea, and weakness was too stomach-churning for him to stay up. Laughing his head off, the sound pillar guided him to be in a piggyback position to make him easier to carry. Of course, he'd removed his katanas first, and now those were hanging at his hip.

A soft, rumbling purr formed at the back of Rengoku's throat as he nuzzled Uzui's neck sleepily. He passed out a moment later, even as the purring noise persisted.

Mitsuri was staring at the flame pillar with stars in her eyes. Hooking his arms under the flame hashira's thighs, Uzui waited until all of honō no tora had disappeared inside the blade Rengoku had been using before they set off again. "What, never seen him tired before?" The taller inquired.

"Well, you lived with him for a few months," Mitsuri huffed.

"You were his tsuguko."

"That doesn't mean I ever saw him when he was asleep!"

"Good." Uzui reached back to pat Rengoku's ass. "Cause this one is mine now."

Nearly doubling over with stifled laughter, Mitsuri apologized over and over for her immature reaction.

I can't wait to get back, Uzui thought. I just want a few days where I know everyone I care about is safe. With Rengoku slumped tiredly over his back, and his wives waiting patiently back at his estate, that goal could very well be within reach.

———————

I'm tireddddd- family gatherings are exhausting

Anygays I can promise a few chapters of just solid fluff, maybe a lil bit of angst, but mostly fluff while I figure out what to do with the story after this point :') I'm open to suggestions, but no guarantee I'll use them