11

Sorry this chapter is a bit shorter than usual. Even so, I hope you enjoy! (I promise the book isn't entirely boring- stuff will start to happen soon)

TW: sh

The rest of the night was long and boring. Rengoku sat for hours in his room, trying to fall asleep with little success. So with nothing to do and no other way to pass the time, he let his mind wander. He thought about the other demon slayers, he thought about Akaza, food, the sun, wisteria, and his family. What would his father think of his son now? Did they already know? Would Senjuro be afraid of him? Questions upon questions piled up in Rengoku's head.

He felt a twinge of pain and glanced down at his hands with a frown. Without realizing, he'd dug his sharp nails into the back of his hand, deep gouges in the flesh dripping blood onto his sleeve.

That'll take a bit to heal, even with the regenerative ability of a demon. And I certainly don't want to get my blood everywhere. He glanced around. There weren't any bandages in his room, but there were probably some in a different one. Deciding to go find something to wrap his hand with, Rengoku got to his feet and silently crept into the hallway.

He was met with a sleeping mansion, its residents all wrapped in comfortable dreams. It didn't take long for his eyes to adjust to the slightly brighter lighting, and as soon as they did, he began wandering through the halls trying to find medical supplies. Passing Kocho's study, he left that room untouched; it would be rude to enter without permission. He instead poked his head into a few rooms that he knew were empty, only to find no bandages. At that point, the hand he had cupped under his injured one was covered in blood, letting off the strong scent of warm iron.

And what will I do with all this?

Rengoku stared down at the small pool of blood he held, trying to think of ways he could dispose of it.

"Rengoku-san?"

The demon turned his head, meeting the gaze of the young demonslayer. I forgot Kamado and his friends would be staying here!

"Ah, Kamado! Did I wake you?"

He shook his head, a concerned look over his face. "I smelled blood, so I came to make sure no one was hurt.."

"I accidentally cut my hand. I was just out here looking for something to wrap it with!" He kept his voice quiet so as to not wake anyone else.

"I'll go get a cloth." Tanjiro dashed off to retrieve it.

When he returned, he helped Rengoku wrap the bandage around his still-bleeding palm as both of the demon's hands were busy either being bandaged or holding excess blood. When that was done, Rengoku bid the boy good night and went back to his room.

Tanjiro stood still for a moment, small inquisitive questions flashing in his head. Like how Rengoku was out of his room- hadn't he been cuffed to the bed? Someone must have removed them. Exhaling softly, he turned around to head back to bed. Zenitsu was tucked neatly under his covers, whereas Inosuke was sprawled over the mattress, blanket cast aside and hanging off the side. Tanjiro smiled, silently picking up the boy's boar mask up off the floor and setting it on the nightstand. He then took the blanket in his hands, laying it over Inosuke the correct way. After giving Nezuko a few headpats, he let himself drift off to sleep.

Rengoku stared at the ceiling, imagining an alternative to the life he was living. An existence where Akaza had simply killed him; where the punch to his stomach put him out of action permanently. Would that have been a better outcome than this? The idea was thought provoking. But he just shook his head. I can still serve the demon slayer corp. I'll continue to do so for as long as I can. If being a demon is how I'll have to aid my fellow demon slayers, then I'll accept it.

At long last, the effects of staying up for so long began to catch up with him. Finally, Rengoku could close his eyes and be met with a calm darkness, temporarily free of the bloodstained images engraved in the back of his mind.

———————

Meanwhile, Uzui was having even more trouble falling asleep. He flipped onto his side, eyeing the empty space on his bed with a frown. His mattress was big enough for two people, yet only held one. It had only ever been slept on by one person at a time, and that person was always Tengen. He wanted nothing more than to share the space with someone, to sleep while having the comfort of another person beside him. The lonely state of his room was a reminder that constantly told him 'you're single', 'you're alone', 'it'll stay that way forever'. And with the girls being out on a mission, it was even quieter.

Turning onto his back, Tengen wondered silently, Would Rengoku want to stay in my estate?

His mood brightened. I bet he'd fill this space perfectly.

I'm in an extremely good mood- I smiled so much today that my face hurts. Anyways, have a great rest of your day/night, sweet demons!