50

Chapter 50 >:) Y'know what that means, right? I will not be telling you who might end up on the chopping block, or how ^^

Maybe I'm just teasing- but at the same time, am I?

———————

When Rengoku opened his eyes again, it was dark. The only light in the room was cast by the moon's luminous gaze down on the headquarters, it's rays poking through small openings between the curtains and the wall. This prick of light was all Rengoku needed as he propped his elbows against the couch on either side of Uzui's torso, lifting himself up into a sitting position on the sound hashira's stomach. Straddling Uzui's abdomen with his legs, Rengoku cocked his head. He stared down at the pillar's peaceful expression for a minute, a contemplative look on his face. Finally leaning down, he pressed a quick kiss to Uzui's forehead and stepped down to the floor.

He's pretty tired, I should be able to get back before he wakes up.

Creeping as quietly as he could, Rengoku made his way to the front door, pushing it slightly ajar. He stiffened at the loud creak, slowly turning his head to glance back at Uzui. After confirming the sound pillar was still asleep; he wanted to let him rest, he nudged the door completely open and slipped out, shutting it behind him.

He breathed a sigh of relief, peering up into the clear night sky. I'm never going to take being able to stand in the sunlight for granted again after this.. this is all like a really long nightmare.

(Imagine if the entire story so far was just an elaborate illusion Enmu made- wouldn't that be something?)

Tearing his gaze from the misty, starlit heavens above him, Rengoku began wandering about the tranquil headquarters. At first glance, the fire demon was the only waking being in the gardens. But if one looked closer, they would see the koi gliding underwater in their ponds, the fireflies flickering their soft, faint lights, and the bunting (bird species) flaunting their silky smooth plumage atop the roofs of the hashira's estates. Even keener eyes would spot the milky-white albino snake coiled in one of the trees, red eyes flashing.

Rengoku was blissfully unaware of the existence of the serpent, and its corresponding pillar, observing him from the boughs of a nearby tree.

"He looks safe enough," Obanai murmured, half to himself and half to Kaburamaru. The snake flicked its tongue in and out, not having a solid opinion on the demon hashira yet. He'd need another minute.

Obanai had been the first hashira Mitsuri talked to when she returned, also being the one to first hear that they succeeded in retrieving Rengoku from wherever the demon had disappeared to. Naturally, he was at first a bit frustrated that she had agreed to go on such a potentially dangerous mission, but relaxed a little when the love pillar expressed just how much restraint Rengoku exhibited. The master had a similar view on the fire demon, having reassured Obanai that Rengoku could be trusted when he was confronted about the matter.

However, as much as he trusted both those people, Obanai was going to make his own opinion. He wanted to trust the flame hashira, he really did, but found it hard to believe that a demon could be counted as 'safe'.

Holding a hand out to Kaburamaru, Obanai waited until the snake had slithered back up his arm, then positioned himself so he could jump. If Kanroji thinks he's alright.. Skillfully dropping down to the pebbled ground, he was at last noticed by the fire demon.

"Hello, Iguro!" Rengoku turned around to face the shorter hashira.

That bright smile, the welcoming warmth that the flame pillar radiated. He may have looked slightly different, but Rengoku was exactly the same as before. He hadn't changed. That much was a relief. Obanai took his hand off the handle of his katana.