24

Some pre-chapter knowledge:
-Yoshiwara is the formal name of the Entertainment District

From here on, there will likely be a big boost in the amount of fluffy content I write for Uzui and Rengoku. I am going to try my best to change up the arc a little bit so the storyline isn't all just copied and pasted from the anime/manga.

Uzui stepped inside his house, letting out a heavy sigh. He was all set to head off to the Entertainment District; they just had to wait until the sun set so Rengoku could travel safely. The three young slayers had been excited to hear they'd get to go on another mission with the flame hashira, not one apprehensive about being around the demon. Perhaps they were used to helpful demons, having been on so many missions with Nezuko.

He must be awake by now, Uzui thought. Rengoku was a heavy sleeper, but was aware of the smallest changes in the world around him, even when unconscious. I'm surprised my tossing the blankets over him didn't wake him up.

Poking his head into the bedroom, he was even more surprised to see the demon peacefully curled up on the mattress, one arm hanging off the side. Rengoku had turned over onto his stomach, subsequently discarding most of the covers onto the floor. His expression was peaceful, the tiniest smile tugging at his lips.

Adorable.

..

Fuck.

He took a quick second to compliment himself on remembering to close the window. Uzui walked over to the bed, bending down to carefully fix the covers. As he paused to gently brush the hair out of Rengoku's face, he realized, He's going to fall off the bed. Blinking, Uzui tried to figure out how to help without waking the sleeping flame pillar. He had an idea, but he wasn't so sure how Rengoku would feel about it upon waking.

Screw it, Uzui huffed, climbing back into bed. He laid down on his side, pulling Rengoku into a loose sort-of cuddle. At the very least, he was tentatively spooning the shorter demonslayer. Now he won't fall, Uzui thought proudly. Thinking back, he could have just flipped the hashira over so he wasn't next to the edge of the mattress, but this was a more win-win situation.

Deciding that this was okay, maybe even better than okay, Uzui let his eyes flutter shut. If he was still there when Rengoku woke, he'd simply deny everything.

--------------

Rengoku hugged himself closer to whatever he was holding, feeling safe in the enclosing warmth that surrounded him. In his sleepy, almost drunken state, the demon let out a contented, relaxed sigh. He brought his tangled legs up closer to his chest, a rumbling purr humming in the back of his throat. Wherever he was right then: it was where he wanted to stay forever.

A few more minutes crawled by with little change. He did not feel like getting up. Especially if it meant ruining the absolutely perfect position he was in.

Eventually, a thought arose in Rengoku's fuzzy brain. Where am I? Why am I so comfortable?

He slit his eyes open, his cat-like pupils dilating to collect as much of the low light as possible. Did I sleep all day? Still quite cozy, Rengoku just raised his head a bit to look around.

As any barely-awake person's mind would, it took a good ten seconds for his current predicament to catch up with him. And when it did, a deep red blush covered Rengoku's face, ears, and neck. He thought his brain might have even short-circuited.

Uzui's legs were intertwined with his own, the sound pillar's arms wrapped around Rengoku's torso and waist. Their faces were impossibly close with the way he had lifted his head. In the moment, he was infinitely grateful that Uzui was asleep, and couldn't make fun of him for his flustered, embarrassed, frazzled appearance. He was afraid to move, for if he did, the sound hashira might wake. For the time being, he decided that letting himself cool down was the best option, so he settled back into Uzui's embrace, trying to calm his racing heart.

With a more lucid take on the situation, Rengoku found it quite nice. He had no clue as to how he ended up being spooned by the taller pillar, and wasn't sure if he wanted to know. If it was by choice on Uzui's part, he'd be beyond confused. It was probably an accident, he convinced himself.

The hug was gentle, erring on the side of affectionate with the slight pressure keeping Rengoku close to the sound hashira's body. I like this. It's nice.

Of course, like the cliche romantic fanfiction their 'friendship' was becoming, something had to come along and ruin the moment.

A few quick knocks on the door jolted Uzui awake. Rengoku didn't hear them very well, but judging by Uzui's reaction, it must have been loud. The pillar sat up, glancing down at the demon he'd been cuddling. He made a quick note of Rengoku's flushed, startled expression, swore under his breath, and got up to check the door.

Sliding it open, he revealed Kamado and his friends standing in the threshold, ready and waiting to go.

"Uzui-san? When are we-"

"In a second," He cut the boy off, closing the door. "Rengoku?" he called, "Get yourself ready, we're going to the Entertainment District!" Uzui grabbed his swords, returning them to their place on his back.

Not three minutes later, the flame hashira emerged from the room fully dressed and with his sword hanging at his hip. "Let's go!" His voice betrayed excitement and anticipation as Uzui nodded and stepped outside.

-------------- (mini timeskip until they leave the headquarters)

The stars twinkled high above the five as they set off for Yoshiwara. Uzui sprinted ahead, with Rengoku following just behind him. The three younger slayers panicked, taking off after the hashira.

Uzui slowed down ever so slightly, just enough so that Rengoku was at his side. Glancing back, he could see Tanjiro and his friends were already far behind them, unable to keep up with the speed of the two pillars.

"We should wait for them," Rengoku chimed.

"They'll be fine, they know where we're headed," Uzui reasoned. "And they can get a crow to guide them if they really need to."

Rengoku hummed, jokingly commenting "You're a dick, leaving them behind like that." There was no anger or malice behind his words, just enthusiasm at the prospect of being on a mission, his first since becoming a demon, with some of his favorite people.

The sound hashira looked straight at him and smirked as he replied casually, "You are what you eat, Kyojuro."

His eyes locked with Uzui's. Rengoku fought back the pounding of his heart, only the smallest tint of blush dusting his cheeks.

The taller's smile only grew at Rengoku's stunned expression, proud he could fluster him into silence with only a few words. "Besides, this way, we'll have some time to investigate by ourselves before those three catch up," he added, facing forward again.

"Right!" a pause, then, "I'm sure we'll find them safe and sound."

Uzui nodded. "Of course we will."

I apologize dearly if this chapter seems choppy at all- I wrote the second half first, and had to connect it to the beginning. 🥲