19

Dear lord- already at chapter 19?! How do you all tolerate me- I'd be going insane if it were almost chapter 20 and there had been barley any fluff!

TW: minor description of gore

Kyojuro woke to a gentle prod in his shoulder, opening his eyes. He smiled upon seeing his brother crouched in front of him, and sat up. "How long was I out?"

"You've both been sleeping all day," Senjuro grinned.

Both? The pillar glanced behind him, face heating up slightly when he realized he'd subconsciously moved around, and had been cuddled up against Uzui's chest. The sound hashira was still fast asleep, somehow managing to look comfortable laying on the wooden floor. "What time is it?"

The boy looked down at the ground. "Nearly nightfall." His voice sounded sad as his smile fell. He wished he could have more time to spend with his brother, but their father would have their heads if Kyojuro stayed.

The elder sibling took the younger's hand in his, squeezing it gently while being careful to not prick him with his sharp nails. "I'll drop by again soon, don't worry."

"But what about-"

"Let me worry about Father." He pat Senjuro's shoulder with his other hand.

"Okay." Senjuro wrapped his arms around his brother tightly. Quietly, he whispered "I love you, nii-chan.."

Kyojuro blinked, returning the embrace and sweet words.

--------------

Uzui and Rengoku left the estate as soon as the sun was safely hidden behind the horizon. The woods surrounding them gave the flame hashira a strange feeling, similar to being watched. But he couldn't see or smell anything out of the ordinary, and Uzui hadn't pointed out any noises they needed to worry about.

Regardless, he kept his guard up. With every step he took, the comforting presence of his katana tapped against his leg. What could a regular demon do to two hashira, anyways?

Uzui liked to listen to the noises nature made, especially at night. High-pitched chitters, low keens, rhythmic chirping, all sounds of the forest's nighttime residents. Bats, sleepy birds, and crickets made up the chaotic yet peaceful symphony. The occasional crack of a twig or rustling of leaves were nothing more than background noises, more than likely the blunder of a demon. He'd hear if one were to come chasing after them.

Rengoku skidded to a stop at the sound of a pained scream. Uzui took off in the direction it had come from, shouting over his shoulder for the other hashira to keep going back to the headquarters.

As much as he didn't want to ignore the cry for help, he knew the sound pillar could handle it. Knowing this, he nodded and continued running. After he dispatched of whatever demon he found, Uzui would likely intercept Rengoku further up the trail.

Minutes ticked by, each seeming longer than the last. Eventually, Rengoku slowed to a jog, keeping all his senses perked for any sign of Uzui. He couldn't tell where he was, curse a human's limitation, however, his nose managed to pick up the faint scent of blood. Of course, Rengoku's couldn't hold a candle to Kamado's heightened sense of smell, but the scent was strong enough for him to pick up, so it must have been close.

His stomach growled traitorously at the enticing, delicious fragrance. Sucking in a breath, the flame pillar darted off the path into the woods to search for the source. He hadn't had to look for very long until he came across a demon feasting on the half-eaten corpse of a little boy.

He must have been attacked while he was walking home.. Rengoku drew his sword, attracting the attention of the demon.

"Huh-" the being's eyes widened in fear at the sight of the demon slayer, then narrowed in confusion. "What's a demon like you doing with a slayer's katana?" It growled.

It didn't let Rengoku respond before continuing, ripping a chunk off the boy's arm. Speaking around the meat in its mouth, it hissed "If you're hungry, go find another goddamn corpse. This one's mine!" Swallowing, it smirked at the flame-patterned demon threateningly. "Or we can fight for it, Wannabe."

Flame breathing, first form; Unknowing Fire.

Rengoku took a breath and dashed forward, ready to slash his sword across the demon's neck. It hitched mid-step, though, and he quickly jumped, slicing off one of its arms instead.

It growled, stepping back with the dead body dragging next to it. "Don't tell me you're actually trying to use their techniques." It laughed, launching itself into the air to attack from above. "That's stupid!! Demons can't use breathing styles like they do, idiot!"

Ducking under the attack, Rengoku scored the tip of his katana though the demons spine.

"Where'd He stick his fingers in ya', huh? Your brain, probably, you dimwit!" It recovered quickly, turning and slashing the air next to Rengoku's head with sharp claws. "It'd explain why you're not thinking straight!"

The demon is referring to Muzan turning people into demons, if you couldn't guess.

Frowning, Rengoku dodged the blow and twisted sharply, smoothly cleaving the demon's head off its shoulders. Watching it disintegrate into ash, he tried to ignore the scent of blood that hung heavily in the air. It was a thick, sharp metallic smell.

The hashira turned to the corpse, crouching down to inspect it. He wanted to give the boy a proper burial, but he was running short on time to get back before the sun rose. His eyes drifted over the exposed, bloody flesh and he stiffened, heart-rate spiking.

It smelled.. satisfyingly tasty.

Pupils shrinking, he reached for the kid's arm.

"Whatcha doing?"

Uzui's voice behind him snapped Rengoku from his trance-like state. He shook his head, standing to face the demonslayer.

"I killed the demon that attacked him," Rengoku explained. "Let's head back." He set off at a sprint, retracing his steps to the trail, then following it back towards the headquarters.

That was too close.