37

The rest of the fight against Gyutaro and Daki went exactly as it did in the manga, except Uzui did not lose a hand, only an eye.

TW: mild sh

Starting off strong with the basguetbowl (basketball (Akaza (the stalker (that obsessed striped boi ("Keep your eyes on me"))))

This chapter is shorter and mostly filler- I'm sorry :')

———————

Outside, above the thick cover of trees, bright sunlight shone down on the dappled green leaves of the forest. Small pinpricks of the rays filtered through, tainting the otherwise perfect environment for demons. Akaza sat inside a woodcutter's small cabin, feasting on the young man's warm corpse. The man- practically a boy; he couldn't have been over seventeen, was a marechi, Akaza's second in a span of weeks. I've been getting lucky recently with these catches. Just wish that luck would bleed over to finding Kyojuro.. He snorted, kitten-licking a small trail of blood off his forearm as he mulled the thought over. "I won't end up like Kibutsuji. If I still can't locate Kyojuro after another couple months or so, I'll stop looking."

"I do wonder why he didn't just accept my offer, even on the brink of death?" Akaza's gaze wandered up to the ceiling. "He's probably grown stronger in these past few months, so he's got to see that I was right." Suddenly, he wasn't very hungry anymore.

Growling in frustration, Akaza tossed the limb he'd been picking at back beside the rest of the body and scooted backwards into a darker corner of the room to sit. This fucking sucks. Upper Three hadn't thought much of what Rengoku had said during their fight, and he certainly hadn't taken a certain comment seriously.

"We've only just met, and I already despise you."... I can't imagine why he'd say that to me, but Kyojuro doesn't seem like the kind of person who'd lie or make things up. Akaza pressed his back against the wall. Thoughts of the elusive flame hashira dancing around his head, Akaza allowed his head to fall back, and he drifted off into a light, dreamless sleep.

———————

After a few hours, the striped demon awoke to the incessant knocking of a fist against the door. He'd closed it to keep any stray beams of light out, but now it was just serving as an annoyance. "Hell-" he sniffed the air, wondering if it was a demonslayer. His heart sunk farther when the unique scent of Uppermoon Two reached his nose. I think I'd have preferred demonslayers. Regardless, Akaza got to his feet and slid the door open. "What do you want?"

Douma grinned, his choice expression displaying child-like giddiness. "Akaza-dono, look!" He pointed excitedly to the base of a nearby tree. Leaned up against the trunk, still passed out, was the pillar that Akaza had spent so much time searching for. (He's still asleep because of how much energy he lost when he unconsciously used the skeleton guardian ability last chapter)

Standing in the open doorway in stunned silence, Akaza blinked a couple of times to make sure his eyes weren't deceiving him. When that didn't work, he broke his fingers one by one by snapping them in his other hand. So I'm not dreaming. That means Douma actually did something.. right.. for once.. The small bones healed almost instantly, the bruising disappearing a moment later.  Stepping outside, he walked over to Rengoku with a curious expression. Akaza crouched down in front of him, cocking his head. "Why's he asleep?"

Douma's face remained happy as he eagerly explained himself with wild hand gestures. "He was putting up a fight, so I crushed his spine! He blacked out after that, and then there was a huge skeleton but it was on fire, and-"

"You crushed his spine??"

"Mhm!"

"Idiot!! Vertebrae are some of the hardest bones to regenerate!" The only reason Akaza hadn't punched Douma's head off was because the higher ranked demon had just brought him the flame hashira; so he at least owed Douma that much.

"They are? I always thought they were easy..!"

"Well that's because we're part of the twelve kizuki. He," Akaza nodded to Rengoku, "smells like he hasn't so much as touched human blood. So his regeneration is at a snails pace." His eyes narrowed.

"Sounds like fun!"

A low growl rumbled in the back of Akaza's throat.

"You kind of sound like Flamey's blood demon art, actually! It goes grrrrr like that when it's angry."

"Thanks for the information," Akaza said, voice monotone. "Now if you would, go back to your freaky cult or wherever you spend your time when you're not being irritating."

"Can I have a headpat first?" Douma smiled innocently, bowing his head so his subordinate could reach.

I hate that he's so much taller than me. "Fine, asshole. Whatever makes you leave faster." Once again getting to his feet, the striped demon begrudgingly approached Upper Two and pat the top of his head a couple times. When he straightened back up, Douma's polychromatic eyes were practically glowing. "Don't think this is because I like you or something," Akaza warned, "I only did that as payment for bringing Kyojuro to me."

"Mhm~!" Turning to leave, Douma glanced back over his shoulder. "By the way, Akaza-dono, Gyutaro and Daki are dead, so Kibutsuji-sama will be summoning us for an uppermoon meeting soon!" His smile was bright and sickening to look at under the context of the words that had just come out of his mouth.

Akaza nodded curtly, focusing his attention back on Rengoku. I can just bring him inside for now, so he doesn't get burnt by the sun. Scooping the fire demon up bridal style, he carried him inside and laid him down carefully on his back in the corner opposite the door. That should make it easier for his spine to heal, if it hasn't already. It shouldn't take more than an hour, even if he hasn't eaten much.

Watching Rengoku's chest rise and fall with each breath he took was peaceful, therapeutic, even. Usually, sitting in one place for so long without moving around, being static, would be torture. But just this once, Akaza was willing to make an exception.

I never did get the chance to look at his appearance as a demon. Those marks are pretty.. I wonder if his eyes changed.

———————

Hahahahaha- sleep exists??