Alarm

I came home and immediately changed out of the diaper into my only pair of white briefs (they weren't snow white, as it had some stains from some previous accidents). It sounds stupid but wearing "big boy" underwear helped make me feel a little bit more mature. As I was throwing the diaper in the garbage, my mom told me that Dr. Brown had called with the results of the tests. He said that I was a little underdeveloped, being small for my age. And when you combine that with the stress of my mom's second marriage, it's not a shock that I have secondary enuresis. "I asked what can we do", said my mom, and was told that "medication was a no, due to the side effects". "It was either try an alarm or just wait it out with some protection". "Justin, I feel we should have a family discussion by supper as an alarm could also wake everyone else up", concluded my mom. I personally didn't agree, but no one asked me of my opinion.

Suppertime was supposed to be peaceful, but instead it started off with Yvette asking why there was a baby's diaper in the garbage. To which I embarrassingly had to tell over the story of my day. How I went to Dr. Brown, and had an accident. This led us straight into the discussion of whether I should try an alarm. Yvette was all for it, while Sarah was anti it. It was Sam that came up with the idea, "We'll try it for a little while, if we see improvements, then we can continue". "Otherwise, it's back to diapers". Everyone, but me  agreed to this plan, so I found myself in the back of Sam's truck heading to Walmart to pick out an alarm.

When we entered, we went straight to the back, over by the pharmacy. "Excuse me", said Sam, "Justin over here, is wetting his bed, and we were told to get him a bedwetting alarm". "Do you have any"? "Sure, my name is Helen and I'll be glad to assist you", said the pharmacist, a 70 year old lady with gray hair. "We have a few different models in stock, but I think you should try this one". "My 7 year old grandson used it and was dry in 2 weeks". "Here let me show you how it works". I was so dead embarrassed at this conversation. Helen took one and started to come around. "Now there's nothing to be embarrassed about, it's normal for boys to bedwet until the age of 10", said Helen. "I'm 14", I whispered. "Whoops, sorry" she said.

"This alarm has a box with the alarm, which clips onto your pajama shirt", explained Helen. "You then take this wire and run it down the inside of the shirt so it doesn't get tangled when you sleep". "Then you snap it to the inside of your underwear, one on each side with the fabric in between". "When the fabric gets wet it will complete the circuit in the wires, and the alarm will ring". "For the record, you shouldn't wear boxers, like most teens do, as they are too loose, and you should wear 2 pairs of underwear so the metal doesn't irritate you". "And from personal experience, my grandson only had white briefs and wouldn't wake up from the alarm at first, so when we changed him, he hadn't realise that he had an accident". "He woke up insisting that he stayed dry". "Therefore you should buy some briefs with different pictures on them, so when you see a different picture, you know you had an accident". "Don't worry", intervened Sam, "he already wears those". "If you want, I can show you how to set it up", offered Helen. "Great" said Sam as he pulled down my pants.

Here I was in our local Walmart wearing just my blue briefs with little pictures of sharks on them, with some random lady putting a bedwetting alarm on me. I thought it couldn't get any worse, when I suddenly heard Sam ask "is there any way to stop the sheets from getting wet with this alarm". "Well, you can put a pullup on over theunderwear, once it's set up", said Helen. "Great", said Sam, "we need some more anyways". "Let's try one", said Helen, she then pulled out a sample and had me step into the pullup. She then asked if I needed to pee. Abashed, I admitted that I needed to go a little. I was told to just pee, so they can see how the alarm works and if the pullup would hold my fluids. I started to release when the alarm started to blare BEEP BEEP BEEP. "See it's loud and everything holds", said Helen. People started to come to check out what the alarm was, and all they saw was me standing in a wet pullup. I was dead embarrassed. We took off the pullup and the alarm only to realize that I had been wearing my briefs and they were now wet. So I was given a pullup to wear, as we did the rest of our grocery shopping.

Finally, we were finished and went in line to pay. I was unloading our cart when I hear Brian, the quarterback, say hey Justin. I spun around holding the alarm in one hand and the box of pullups in the other. "Hey Brian", I stammered. "Who's alarm and pullups are those" he asked. "My baby brother's", I said. "Now Justin, we don't lie", interrupted Sam, "tell him the truth". I was then forced to tell Brian about my bedwetting and how we came for more pullups and an alarm. As my face became redder, Brian's smile got wider. "Well, I'll see you tomorrow" said Brian. "I can't wait", I whispered. Thankful that the conversation was over but scared about what the next few days will bring.