CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO: MEETINGS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four Days later

Sitting in the boring ass classroom as some flight teacher talked about ratios. I could care less if you ask me. "Vietnam, 3-1" blah blah blah. I was in the second row, behind a tall boy and a short boy. The short one looked a lot like Pete Mitchel, who we all know as Maverick. They talked about Dog Fighting, obviously. I knew a lot of this as I watched the film they played, but it wasn't really any surprise. If your enemy attacks you, you either run or attack back. Basic knowledge.

"Blinds please," were the words bringing me out of my almost slumber. Bitch. "I'd like to take this time to introduce you to our commanding officer of Top Gun. Very first man to win the Top Gun trophy, you will not find a finer fighter pilot anywhere in the world." Oh how wrong he is. I'm obviously the best. I don't need a damn trophy to prove it. "Commander Mike Medcalf, callsign Viper.'' What a badass name.

"Gentleman," he started out, walking to the center of the room. "And lady," he looked at me. I smiled as I chewed on my gum. "You are the top one percent of all Naval Aviators," he said. "The elite." he looked at us all. The annoying sound of a pen clicking made me look to my side, a blonde man spinning a pen between his fingers was making the noise. Although he must not have been paying very good attention, because he looked at me within a few seconds.

I rolled my eyes and turned my attention back to Viper. "You are the best of the best. We'll make you better." he said. Yes Sir, I will be better. "At least ten combat missions a day, ten classes in between, and evaluations of your performance." Sounds like a full day, nothing too big. Nothing I cant handle. I mean, is it really work if I enjoy it?

"Now in each combat sequence, you're gonna meet a different challenge." He told us. "Every encounter is gonna be much more difficult." you got that right. Difficult my ass, everythings easy. He went on about the F-14, but I wasn't really paying attention. I have enough brains and common sense to figure out almost anything they give me. What I was really focused on was the frosted tips beside me. Cocky motherfucker!

"I'm just wondering, who's the best?" Pete Mitchel asked his RIO. I knew it was that little bastard when his high ass voice started running. "If you're wondering who the best is, they are up here on this plaque, on the wall." Viper said. I smirked and watched as Maverick turned around and looked at me, his eyes widened a bit. "Kennedy?" He asked, I nodded. Good to have you back, Mitchel.

"The best driver from each class has his name on it." Viper said. "And they have the option to come back here and become Top Gun instructors." he started walking towards the front of the room again. "Do you think your name's gonna be on that plaque?" Viper asked, I just continued chewing my gun with a smirk on my face. "Yes sir, I do." I told him. They all eyed me. Who wouldn't?

"That's pretty arrogant, considering the company you have." He told me. I looked around, pretending to look at them all. "I'm still standing with my statement, Sir." I told him. He let a small grin on his face. "I like that in a pilot." He told me. Oh yippee! "Remember when we are out there, were all on the same team. Lady and Gentleman this school is about combat. There are no points for second place." I agreed with that statement. "Dismissed"

"Never thought you'd make it here." Maverick told me. "Never thought you'd be here either, Pete." I smirked. He did the same while getting up. "You haven't grown much." I mumbled, looking at him. "Shut the hell up, Collins." he lightly pushed me forward.

"The plaque for the alternates is in the ladies room..." Frosted tips said. Pete's RIO and I started laughing, even if it was about women. "No offense," He winked at me. I just ignored him and went on with Maverick. "There's two o's in Goose boys," That's the blondes callsign, Goose. Love it.

"Kennedy, Goose and I here are goin' down to the bar, care to join us?" Maverick asked me. "Why the hell not? Catchin' up with an old pal?" I patted him on the back. Goose just smiled at his pilot as I walked off, not even looking at the plaque. It didn't really matter, my name was gonna be on there no matter what.

I turned around as I felt a hand on my shoulder, the fake blonde stood before me with a smirk on his face. "Didn't expect to see a woman here, I thought men were pilots," he said. I just leaned against the wall and looked up into his bright blue eyes. "You know, I would smack you for that." I tilted my head to the side a bit. "Oh really?" he taunted. "Nah, I dont really enjoy smacking pretty people. But its a nice joke." I told him, then got off the wall and left.

"Hey! You made it!" Pete said as I walked into the bar with my white uniform on. "Why wouldn't i?" I asked, leaning against the bar. "This is Goose." He pointed to the blonde pilot. "I figured." the blonde just smiled at me. "Hey Slider, thought you wanted to be a pilot." Goose pulled another man into the circle. He looked kinda funny.

"Goose youre such a dickhead. Who's butt's did you have to kiss to get in here?" he asked the Blonde. "The list is long, but distinguished." Goose replied. "Yeah, well so is my Johnson." Slider took an overly dramatic shot. "So youre flying with Iceman huh?" Goose asked. "Its Mr. Iceman to you." Slider said. "I think its Iceman to me." I told him, he just glared at me, which made me smirk in his direction. Asshole.

"Hey Mother Goose, hows it goin?" Iceman came over to us, basically ignoring me. But Pete was sure to keep his arm behind me, it made me feel funny but whatever. "Good, Tom. This is Pete Mitchel, Tom Kazansky." Goose pointed to Pete. "And I still haven't met her yet." Goose laughed. "Kennedy Collins." I told Goose, he just nodded. Iceman still held a smirk over my head, which I hated.

"Congratulations on Top Gun," Iceman told Pete. "Sorry to hear about Cougar, He and I were like brother in flight school. He was a good man." Iceman made conversation. "Still is a good man," Pete replied to him. "That's what I meant," Iceman almost bent down to his level, giving that Pete was like 5' 4" and a tiny bastard.

"Thought so..." Maverick mumbled. "So, you need any help?" Iceman was quick to ask. "With what?" Now Iceman's attention gazed between the three of us evenly. "Have you figured it out yet?" He chewed on a peanut. "Whats that?" Pete asked. "Who's the best pilot?" Iceman said. I would say something cocky, but I dont think its the right time.

"No, I think I can figure that out on my own." Pete told him. "I heard that about you, you like to work alone." He looked at me next. "So do you." He winked at me, I ignored it. Then Slider had to slide into the conversation. Haha. see what I did? Slide... whatever. Call me a dad for finding that funny.

"Mav, you must've soloed under a lucky star." Slider said. "I mean, the first MiG, then you guys slide into Cougar's spot." Slider said cockily. "Tough talk from the boy whose call sign is slider." I coughed into my hand. It was quite obvious he heard it, which made him step towards me and look me up and down. God this was hilarious.

"What did you just say to me you bitch?" He asked me. "Damn Slider, can't take an insult as lousy as that? Someones insecure..." I sipped on my beer a bit, holding eye contact with him the entire time. "What the fuck did you just say?" He stepped closer to me. Iceman just stepped between us. "I think you've had plenty to drink," He took the bottle out of Slider's hand. I just winked at the blonde RIO.

"Some pilots wait their whole career to see a MiG up close." Slider backed off, Iceman now standing beside me. "Guess you guys are lucky and famous huh?" Iceman laughed and I smiled. "You mean notorious?" he smiled at them both. "See ya later," he turned around and gave me a small pat on the shoulder. "Count on it," Pete said, obviously annoyed.

"They were abused children," Goose told the two of us. I just laughed. "We're gonna have a good time," Maverick said. "Always." The three of us clanked our bottles together and drank to that. "What's your callsign anyway?" Pete asked me. "Nixon." I said. "I told you nixing plans was gonna do you no good." Pete said. "Just shut the hell up and drink would you?" that mother fucker.