CHAPTER ELEVEN

CHAPTER 11: GREAT BALLS OF FIRE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Rise and shine sunshine!" my blinds were opened and Kazansky stood before me, all dressed in his tan uniform. "Figured you wouldn't wake up to your alarm." he said, I rolled onto my stomach so I could sleep longer.

"Its 6, you have to be at base by 7." he sprayed me with water. Funny, he got the spray bottle from my bathroom, I usually use it on my hair. "Alright, Jesus, get out of here." I said, getting out of bed and walking to my dresser for the uniform. Kazansky walked out and stood by my door, waiting for me. I just scoffed and started getting ready.

I walked out, squinting as the sun hit my eyes. I regret drinking at all. "Are you okay?" Kazansky asked me. "Im fine." I told him, he nodded. "Want me to drive you?" he asked me, I nodded. "How bad was I last night?" I asked, walking to his car. "You were drunk." He replied, opening the car door for me, what a gentleman! So polite!

"Like... how drunk?" I asked. "Well, you said everything was going to shit, and you wanted to fly off the face of the earth." He looked over to me. "And you cried. Like a lot." He said, giving me a sly smile. "Whatever. We dont talk about it. Dont ever bring it up." I snapped, looking out the side of  his convertible. "Alright Ms. Pissy Pants." he said, pulling up to base. "Whatever, Assface." I sneered at him while tripping out of his car. Literally.

-

"This is your last mission before graduation." Viper told us. We all nodded. "Combat airstrikes, Dog fights, everything is covered in this mission. You will fly in pairs." Viper said. "Iceman, Slider, Nixon, Kid, youre up first." he said. We all nodded.

"If you fuck this up, you wont live to see another day." I mumbled as I hopped in the cockpit. "I know better than to backtalk, Nixon." He replied. "Good, youre learning!" I shot back, adjusting my helmet and getting ready for take off. "Nixon and Kid, ready for takeoff." I said into the mic, starting the engine and pushing the lever forward.

"Alright, two bogies at ten o'clock." Slider said into the mic. I looked over and saw five MIC5's. "Slider I dont think those are bogies," Kid said from the back seat. "Nix, go closer." He told me, so for the first time I actually listened. They wern't bogies, they were the real fucking deal. "Is that Russia?" Iceman asked over the mic. "Its a red blue and white flag, it really fucking is." I said, a small panic happening inside my chest.

"Viper, this is Nixon. We have spotted five Russian MIC 5's about four miles away." I contacted base. "Are you sure?" he asked. "Have you sent Jester out?" I asked. "Jester is right beside me." Viper answered. "Holy shit," I mumbled, looking at Kazansky's plane above me. "Do we engage?" I asked Viper. "Nixon, Iceman, you have my permission to engage." Viper told us. "Yes sir." We replied in unison.

"Ill get them to follow me, you shoot them down, Iceman." I said while heading towards the MIC's. "Dont get shot, Nix." He said while he went to wait somewhere. I swear I could hear my heart beating out of my chest. Its not very bright to do this while youre hungover. But whatever...

"Alright you assholes... lets see what you can do." I went into mach 2, soaring above them so I could get their attention. "Theyre coming Iceman, be ready." I said into the mic, now having the MIG's on me. Ice was right around the corner. "Missiles ready," he said as I was just about to fly by. Man, my heart was beating so fast.

"Fuckin' talk to me." I told my RIO. "you have four on your tail, Iceman's got one." He said. "Going for a loop." I said as I swiftly pulled up, making a circle around the MIG's so I was the one behind them. "Radar lock, firing now!" Kid said, pressing the button. It shot, the MIG was down. Three left. Or they left... I thought.

"Report back to base immediately." Viper came through the mic. "Nix watch out!" Iceman practically screamed over the mic. The MIG came back and fired at me, hitting the wing since I barely missed it. "Shit, shit!" I said, trying to get control of the plane again. Iceman hit the remaining MIG's, and I was just trying to stay in the air.

"Eject goddamnit!" Ice shouted. "I can make it back..." I moved the joystick forward and tried to make the plane work, it just wouldnt. "Nixon Eject!" Ice shouted once again. "Your wings are on fire, youre not making it!" He shouted. I let go of the joystick and reached for my handles above my head, pulling them down harshly. Moments later, my plane went up in flames. I was right above it.

I could feel the heat spreading throughout my body.