CHAPTER SEVEN

CHAPTER SEVEN: UNLUCKY FLY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Three Bogies, ten o'clock." Mooney said into the mic. "Let's go get them," I said sarcastically, maneuvering the plane so I could attempt to get behind them. They took off spinning, then I knew it was on.

"Take the shot dammit!" Wolfman said, flying below me. "Im cant take the goddamn shot when your screaming in my fucking ear now shut the hell up!" I yelled over the mic. "Switching to guns," I said while flicking the switch and lining up the plane with the guns. "One down," Mooney said from behind me. "Wolfman watch your back, one just left." I reminded him. "Thank you."

"Alright sweet boy! Show me what you got!" I said, sarcasm lacing every word coming out of my mouth. The bogie kept going side to side, I tried to get in the rhythm of his flying. "Stop dancing like a damn ballerina..." I mumbled, trying to copy his flight pattern. I finally got it. Left, right, left, left, right, right, left, right, and it repeated.

"Gocha motherfu-" I stopped myself, knowing that i'm gonna get yelled at for screaming at Wolfman. "Nice work Nixon!" Mooney shouted from behind me. "Where's Wolfy at?" I asked, turning the plane around and looking for him. "I got a bogie on me!" Wolf shouted over the mic. "Comin' your way," I responded.

Within seconds I got the bogie on missile lock. "That was just too easy!" I said as I made my way back to base. "Oh shut the hell up Nixon, you have good luck and we all know it." Hollywood finally entered the conversation. "I create my good luck, I think you should do the same." I told him. He just scoffed in response.

"Birds birds birds birds birds!" Mooney shouted. They came in from behind... what the fuck? "Shit." I mumbled, moving down so the flock could pass. "Oh you fuckers!" I yelled as I saw the first engine light go out. "Engine one out, switching to engine two." I said into the mic, trying to do everything at once.

I saw the base, it was about two miles out. "Shit!" I said, seeing the second engine burning up. "Engine two is out. Engine two is out." I said over the mic. "Can you make it to base?" Viper asked. "I won't be able to stop once I do," I said, trying anything to get the engines back on.

"Land on base, we're putting out the nets now." Viper told me. "Copy." I said, moving the plane towards the base. It's like putting a car in neutral, you can control it, it just ain't on. Not to mention I was getting extremely light headed really fast, I felt like I was about to pass out.

I landed on the netted runway, hearing a loud scratch as the plane slid. "You alright James?" I asked, taking off my mask and getting in some air. "Goddamnit James answer me." I yelled. "I'm alright," he said. I opened the cockpit door and attempted to get out, I just fell in the net, losing all feelings in my legs.

"Nixon, are you alright?" Viper approached me. I nodded. "Yes sir." I told him, leaning against the plane. "I just need to catch my breath sir," I said, breathing heavily. He kneeled down and looked my straight in the eye. "That was some of the best flying I have ever seen. Consider yourself the winner, Nixon." He pointed his finger at me. "Thank you sir." I nodded.

I closed my eyes, leaning my head against the broken plane and still catching my breath ten minutes later. "Your still out here?" I looked to my left and saw Kazansky smiling at me. "Shut the hell up." I breathed out, my eyes still closed and my heart still rapidly breathing. I heard him walk over to me, putting a hand to my forehead.

"Youre burning up." He told me. "I just got out of a plane, what do you expect?" I asked. "You've been out here for an hour and a half, Nixon." He said. "It's been ten minutes," I brought my wrist up and looked at my watch. "Never mind, it had been an hour and a half." I mumbled, closing my eyes again. 

"Yeah, no." Kazansky mumbled picking me up bridal style. I was still in my flight suit and he was in his Naval uniform, getting it all sweaty and stuff. "Ice put me down." I mumbled, trying to open my eyes. They just wouldn't open, it was like they were glued shut.

I was halfway asleep when Kazansky got me into the infirmitory, I could just comprehend what was going on. I could hear some things, but mostly Kazansky asking around to help me and stuff. Then some yelling about me being unconscious in his arms, then rolling on a bed or whatever.

I heard the little being of a Machine beside me, then tape and a tube on my arm. "What the hell?" I mumbled, sitting up and looking at my surroundings. "Nurse?!" I said as I saw a white uniform pass my room. She walked in with a smile, looking at me funny. Expected.

"Ms. Collins, glad to see youre awake." She told me. "I've only been asleep for a few hours hadn't i?" I asked, she shook her head. "About twelve hours." She told me. I looked at my wrist for the time, class was starting right now and I had to be there. "Can I leave?" I asked. She pursed her lips and looked at me. Not what I was expecting.

"You passed out due to dehydration. Not to mention your blood pressure was extremely high and so was your heartrate." She told me. "Okay? Can I leave though? I have class." I told her. "Ms. Collins, we did an exam on you, and it shows you have untreated concussions. Is there anything I should know about?" she asked, I furrowed my eyebrows. "I had a rough childhood." I told her, she nodded. "Ill get you some medication and you may leave." She walked over and got a bag. "Your friend Mr. Kazansky brought you your uniform earlier this morning." she handed it to me and left.

That son of a bitch.